Should the rev limiter on a 306 s16 kick in before the redline?
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wamuran (hr nth of Brisbane)
    Posts
    50

    Default Should the rev limiter on a 306 s16 kick in before the redline?

    I would have thought no. At the moment I can't actually rev the car to redline (7000RPM going by the gauge) as the fuel is cut before it. Is this right?

    Advertisement
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

  2. #2
    1075.6 SamR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Certainly doesn't sound right. I thought the cutout was usually a few hundred rpm higher than the redline.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold


    "This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! biologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    I would have thought no. At the moment I can't actually rev the car to redline (7000RPM going by the gauge) as the fuel is cut before it. Is this right?
    You sure its the fuel being cut?
    Rev limiters normally cut the ignition power.

    Is the engine warm enough? Some ecu's won't
    allow the full rev range until hot enough.

    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wamuran (hr nth of Brisbane)
    Posts
    50

    Default

    yeah, probably the ignition being cut. I knew it had to be one or the other to 'die' like it does, although how do they implement a rev limiter on a carburettored 2 stroke motorbike? I digress..

    Well I'd driven the car for 10km+ with a temp >80 deg C. Would that pull the rev limiter down?
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! biologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    yeah, probably the ignition being cut. I knew it had to be one or the other to 'die' like it does, although how do they implement a rev limiter on a carburettored 2 stroke motorbike? I digress..
    Centrifugal cutout? No idea, would be interesting to know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    Well I'd driven the car for 10km+ with a temp >80 deg C. Would that pull the rev limiter down?
    Hmm, should be warm enough, maybe the rev counter is out?

    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    as above the tacho is probably not accurate


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •