Diesel engine into 404 ute
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Diesel engine into 404 ute

Dear peugeot experts outhere,
    I was wondering what is invoved in putting a diesel engine into my '71 peugeot ute?
    It currently has 2L 504 petrol motor and wagon diff.
    There are other threads similiar to this already, but I am wondering what might be specific to the 404 ute?

Advertisement

Default ute diesel

Hey, I'm in the middle of doing the exact same thing. I was lucky enough to find an original 404 diesel (XD88) along with all the diesel bits, ie battery holders, front radiator support, transmission, mounts, radiator, wiring, etc. THe main thing is the mounts, they are different to 504 and 505 mounts but if you can get some, they will bolt right to the original crossmember. The front where the radiator mounts is different as the cooling fan is on the opposite side and the radiator is mounted higher to clear the inj pump. You'll have to make a return line to the fuel tank, wire up the glow plug relay, change the bellhousing and input shaft, relocate the battery, mount the fuel filter and relay and retrofit the radaiator in, but it can be done.

It would be much easier if you had a whole car to take the diesel bits out of. What kind of engine are you putting in? If you decide to put a 504 diesel transmission in, the lines wont work from the master cylinder as the slave cylinder is mounted differently and has a different fitting. I have a line made up to make them work together if you need it. If you ahve the mounts, you should be able to bolt any of the XD2 or XD3 engines in. If you want some pictures of mine or need to borow them while they are still out to fabricate a set, let me know. I know they are very hard to come by as the 404 never had a diesel option in Oz, but you may be able to find some in Europe. Good luck!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Tadpole

I have a 404 wagon fitted with a 2L diesel garaged in Canberra. Contact with a PM if you want to have a look.

Default 404 wagon

Speaking of, you never sent me pictures. That's OK, I think I'll be going with a 504 wagon instead.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Tadpole

Sorry Dan, disorganised and lazy, thinking I might tidy it up a bit first. Somehow I got the impression you already had your mind on a 504 as a daily driver.

Tadpole

Thankyou very much for assistance guys! I will hop around see Chestnut's rare and special beast to see what clues it might give me a possible conversion.
    Thankyou downunderyank, for your offer of help too. I'll give you a yell when i undertake this crazy project. At the moment though, the newborn takes preference? I don't need to start another baby yet!

Thread Information