A pug 306 with ABS shouldn't be able to lay a line of rubber right?
  • Help

Default A pug 306 with ABS shouldn't be able to lay a line of rubber right?

1994 Pug 306 s16 with ABS)
    Got the car Wed last week. Have been testing out the brakes.
    I've managed to lay a strip of rubber with the front left wheel on 2 occaisions. A friend who is a mechanic said this shouldn't happen and I tend to agree.

Any suggestions as to what to check?

Advertisement
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

Is the ABS light on or off?
    It should come on when you start up and then go off. If the bulbs been taken out, that could explain it. Simple test is to find a bit of grass somewhere and kick it up to about 40 kph and stand on the brakes. If it "hammers" under your foot, the ABS is working but if it just locks up like a normal braking system, it's not operating.
    A warning light should come on if it's a no goer. My BX16V has ABS which works OK but it still seems to be a bit savage on the stops at times.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The only light I get at start up is the hand brake light. Where is the ABS light meant to be (need to get a 306 manual)? On the top line of lights above all the guages where the engine light comes up if it isn't on but the electrics are on?

Tried braking again, left hand wheel leaves rubber trails, brake pedal does not 'hammer' or 'pump' (as described by my mother).

Time to go to a mechanic or ??
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    The only light I get at start up is the hand brake light. Where is the ABS light meant to be (need to get a 306 manual)? On the top line of lights above all the guages where the engine light comes up if it isn't on but the electrics are on?

Tried braking again, left hand wheel leaves rubber trails, brake pedal does not 'hammer' or 'pump' (as described by my mother).

Time to go to a mechanic or ??
    Def doesn't sound right,you shouldn't get lock-up,you should get a juddering(hammering, pumping,vibrating) pedal.
    205gti

Administrator

The ABS only activates down to a certain speed.

Below (lets say 10kph) the brakes can lock up. It'd be a pretty short brake lock though...

If it's out of warranty, go have a talk to Cullens in Nambour. He should be your nearest service centre I would guess.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

i don't get that bumpy feel in my car... and i know the abs is working...

XTC

There is a "strip of rubber" and a "STRIP of rubber" .. what I mean by this is: was it a deep black solid line, like a full lockup? Or just a faint black mark?

In brake fade tests I have done in newer Peugeots (100-0kph) with ABS, in the dry it did leave 2 black marks, although be them faint - and you could smell the rubber as well. If you're leaving solid black marks there sounds like a problem.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

rear rotors needed replacement for a start, so I got a new set of those. Went to put them on - no problems with the RHS. Left hand side (that was leaving lines of rubber the most easily) however, I found that one of the brake pads was 3mm thick on one side of it and 6mm on the other. Would this have been the cause of the locking up? Any idea what caused this?

Brake lock up on the rear = lines of rubber with smoke coming up. Once I have the new brake pads and rotors on the back I'll check everything again.
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250

one other thing to note is that when this was happening my rear tyres had a greater diameter than the front tyres (different profile and width).

I've since put on a set of tyres that all have the same diameter.
    New rear rotors and brake pads have just gone on so I won't be doing any hard braking in the next few 100km.

We tested the sensors for ABS at the rear end of the car - they appear to be producing wheel speed readings. A friend and I did however find an earth wire (with a flame retardent [heat?] material around it that wasn't hooked up to anything.....
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250

Thread Information