bx16v/mi16 exhaust
  • Help

Icon8 bx16v/mi16 exhaust

How the f do you unbolt the exhaust bolt that is above the heat shield covering the steering?? there is literally no clearance at all. Stupid car. I'll have to try and take the shield off.

Advertisement

Also, what is the diameter of the std downpipe between the manifold and the cat? Does it differ between an 8v and a 16v? Because i'm not sure if the 16v or 8v one has been used in my car, most likely the 8v downpipe.

Also, if peter is lurking about what is the best overall system for a 16v? 2.25" with one resonator and then one 2.25" muffler then a 2" tip?

Dave

Well I just grabbed some verniers and measured the exhaust the downpipes external diameter is 2.5" and after the cat the exhaust is 2"
    Could you guys have a look at the photos and tell me whether the cat looks like one off a 16v or an 8v. Pictures in order from the evil nut I can't reach -> downpipe -> cat -> rest of the exhaust.

Cheers,

Dave

Looks like a std. BX16V cat. Are you sure you measured it properly? Both the 1.9L GTi and Mi16 downpipes are 2.25". The 2L downpipe is 2.5". You need a long 3/8" extension bar to reach it. Sometimes you may have to hacksaw through the bolt (in between the coils) if they're too far gone. I also have a special tool I made to hold the bolt head from above. It's a 10mm 1/4" drive socket with 6" of 3/8" rod welded at right angles to the socket. This allows me work down the bottom while the socket/rod stays in place by itself.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    How the f do you unbolt the exhaust bolt that is above the heat shield covering the steering?? there is literally no clearance at all. Stupid car. I'll have to try and take the shield off.

Dave

It helps to take the shield off - It doesn't take long and makes a big difference. There should be one long bolt (m5/6?) and a spring wire clip holding the shield on. I figured the time spent cursing it and trying to take the downpipe off with the shield in place was more than the time to remove and refit the shield :-)

If you want to get really keen, there was an exhaust parts kit that included new bolts (3 sets different lengths), springs, nuts, washers and the special wire mesh sealing ring that goes between the manifold and downpipe. It was a genuine part and fitted a range of cars (BXs and 405s with different engines). Interestingly, the spare bolts are the right size to use to pin the 16v cam pulleys when changing a cam belt....

I might be able to dig up the part number.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

We did get one of those kits when Dave was doing the uber compression job on his BXGT 8 valve. Needed it to get gasket to seal exhaust flange better. Certainly had lots of interesting bolts in it. Much better than the collection of bodgy bit that was holding his exhaust flange together before that.

Ken W

Thread Information