mi16 cam belt
  • Help

Thread: mi16 cam belt

Default mi16 cam belt

when changing cam belt on mi16(series 1) one of the tensioners is left in place and the other is used to tention the belt, i have been told... think it was the lower tentioner (near the altenator) that is left in place. can anyone verify this and maybe explain or show me where it is ment to be? i drew a pic of the old tensioners before i took them off and have replaced cambelt etc and put the new tensioners on. i think the story was that the lower tensioner if put back on in a differant possition would change the valve timming...

Advertisement
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    when changing cam belt on mi16(series 1) one of the tensioners is left in place and the other is used to tention the belt, i have been told... think it was the lower tentioner (near the altenator) that is left in place. can anyone verify this and maybe explain or show me where it is ment to be? i drew a pic of the old tensioners before i took them off and have replaced cambelt etc and put the new tensioners on. i think the story was that the lower tensioner if put back on in a differant possition would change the valve timming...

If you do a search there is a lot on belt replacement somewhere in AF.
    There was also some posts about the correct belts to fit - I got the genuine Peugeot part to make sure when I did mine.

Also the Haynes manual is pretty good.
    The secret appears to be to fit the new belt. Remove the crank and cam locking pins, turn the engine over at least twice and if the locking pins can be refitted easily that you've done well. Of course that doesn't actually say the belt is too loose, perfect or too tight.

Thread Information