Any advice for buying a car cover?
  • Help
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wamuran (hr nth of Brisbane)
    Posts
    50

    Default Any advice for buying a car cover?

    Not sure how much access I'll get to the shed at home and won't have any cover at uni. Any tips/advice when choosing a Car cover?

    306 s16 1995 model....

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! 123abc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    358

    Default

    car covers scratch paint when they flap in the wind and stir up dirt on the surface of the car.

    they create a haven for mould when put over a wet car on a hot day.

    its a pain to keep putting the arial up and down.

    they get caught on everything when you try and remove them.

    they take up lots of boot space.

    they bring water into the car when it rains all day and you chuck it in the boot when you go home, then you have to dry it.

    they atract thieves who want to knwo whats hiding underneith.


    do you plan on staying at your current address???? invest in a carport, they come in kits which are quite cheap and theyre easy to put up.

    but thats just my experiance with car covers, had one once, threw it away after a week....lol

  3. #3
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,599

    Default

    I cheerfully destroy those ones made of Tyvek (Kenco brand). They're pretty good for about 18 months of continuous use, then the elastic goes and the fabric becomes more prone to tearing. Cost is over $100 at most shops for the small car size.

    If your car has a priapic aerial mid-roof, this can be an issue in fitting/removing a cover quickly. Many cover makers supply a sticky 4×4 inch reinforcing patch - you carefully mark and cut the aerial location with a small cross, then stick on the patch and open the cut again. Still less than ideal.

    Two other points if the cover will be used while roaming. Get a some type of cable and padlock to secure it, also clearly mark the rego on the outside, front and rear.

    Regards, Adam.

    p.s. You don't need a DA to put on a car cover. (Just stirring 123abc.)

  4. #4
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,427

    Default

    Car covers are good for keeping sun off your car but not so good for keeping rain off. You could try keeping it well waxed and polished.

    Roger
    (who has never waxed or polished a car in his life)

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Launceston Tas
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Here is the anti theft and anti damage protective car cover


    http://www.onesweb.net/cosas/capa-carro-roubo1.wmv


    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson
    Car covers are good for keeping sun off your car but not so good for keeping rain off. You could try keeping it well waxed and polished.

    Roger
    (who has never waxed or polished a car in his life)
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Pug_405_Mi16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Hi,

    I've got one of the Autotechnica ones they are made of that breathing material.

    I only got it when I stopped using my pug so the weather would not kill it, they are a bit of a pain to take on and off.

    Cheers

    Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL





  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wamuran (hr nth of Brisbane)
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Car covers that are a tighter fit do less damage to the paint work?
    Softer car covers (on the inside) do less damage to the paint work?

    I can get garage space for 5 out of 7 days per week, but at uni I might struggle for shade....

    Although letting the black paint work go so that I can repaint the car in 306 maxi colours would be cool..... except for paying for the body kit.....

  9. #9
    Member Verve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Here is the anti theft and anti damage protective car cover


    http://www.onesweb.net/cosas/capa-carro-roubo1.wmv


    I Want one of these covers!!!!!!! Brilliant
    _______________
    Rob

    2005 Renaultsport Mégane Turbo 225 LX

  10. #10
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's true, I have only ever washed a car (and not very often at that. But I have seen how well waxed and polished cars shed water. And I have used a car cover.

    Up until recently I only ever had roughies for cars. My 1963 ID19 in New Zealand looked pretty untidy but was very sound mechanically and bodily. When I won the club motorkhana in it the prize was a basket of French cheeses and a bottle of car polish. I joked at the time that I might never win a prize for my car but at least I could win a prize for my driving. When I hadn't touched the polish by the following year's motorkhana and "Pride of Ownership" popular vote competition, I thought up a new trophy. It was called the "Pride of Usership" trophy and was to be presented to the best loved, most honest, workhorse car. The prize was the bottle of polish and you were not allowed to use it, and had to present it as the trophy to the following year's winner (which you as the holder of the trophy got to choose). This has become a Canterbury Citroën Car Club tradition and has carried on for 10 years now.

    Roger

  11. #11
    moosey
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo
    I cheerfully destroy those ones made of Tyvek (Kenco brand). They're pretty good for about 18 months of continuous use, then the elastic goes and the fabric becomes more prone to tearing. Cost is over $100 at most shops for the small car size.

    If your car has a priapic aerial mid-roof, this can be an issue in fitting/removing a cover quickly. Many cover makers supply a sticky 4×4 inch reinforcing patch - you carefully mark and cut the aerial location with a small cross, then stick on the patch and open the cut again. Still less than ideal.

    Two other points if the cover will be used while roaming. Get a some type of cable and padlock to secure it, also clearly mark the rego on the outside, front and rear.

    Regards, Adam.

    p.s. You don't need a DA to put on a car cover. (Just stirring 123abc.)
    Yes these covers are excellent IMO. Mine last 12-18mths also before needing replacement. They let water in (when it rains, but it evaporates back out again once the rain stops). Keeps UV/heat out + dirt as well. I can have the cover on the car for two weeks of rain, hail, shine. Cover off and the car is clean underneath. Bucket of water and a chamois and looks tops. Well worth the investment if you don't have a garage/undercover parking.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •