306 Front Speakers?
  • Help

Default 306 Front Speakers?

Just wondering if anyone out there can help me out with the positive+ and negative- wires/terminals on the front speakers in the doors of the 306 (1994).

There seems to be no obvious markings on wires or speaker.

Alternatively is there an easy way to test using a multimeter?

Advertisement

You can't test them with a multimeter, however if one has a stripe on it that will be the negative. In anycase, so long as you wire all speakers the same, then it won't matter.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Thanks Brad.

Hmmm, only replacing front speakers and headunit at this stage. Fingers crossed for the stripe. Id rather not have front/rear out of phase.

Are you still driving an S16? Or was that sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    You can't test them with a multimeter, however if one has a stripe on it that will be the negative. In anycase, so long as you wire all speakers the same, then it won't matter.
    You can test them with a multimeter. The positive lead will read a positive ( approx 6 volts ) voltage with the multimeter earth lead earthed.The negative speaker lead will read approx -6 volts or minus voltage with the multimeter earth lead earthed. Of course you need the radio unit turned on. That's how i figured it out last weekend with the new rear speakers.
    Multimeter = Fluke 21 Series III

Hmm, didn't know that trick. I would of though that wouldn't work seeing as the speaker signal is AC. If you are replacing the headunit then you can easily check by seeing what the wires are on the back of the headunit you take out.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica
    You can test them with a multimeter. The positive lead will read a positive ( approx 6 volts ) voltage with the multimeter earth lead earthed.The negative speaker lead will read approx -6 volts or minus voltage with the multimeter earth lead earthed. Of course you need the radio unit turned on. That's how i figured it out last weekend with the new rear speakers.
    Multimeter = Fluke 21 Series III
    That doesn't work with every car/head unit though... you can do that because it a basic flaw in the amp section of most headunits. No big deal, but your taking for granted that the wiring from the factory was ok. When i did car stereos 1 in 5 brand new cars had their polarity wrong to begin with. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information