205 Mi16 Dyno Results
  • Help

Default 205 Mi16 Dyno Results

I thought you might be interested in some dyno results hot off the press. Adrian Wuillemin and I have been upgrading a 205 Mi16 I originally built for a customer 15 months ago. The original engine was a slightly modified 1.9L 16V, running 10.8:1 CR and a Stage I inlet cam, on std. Motronic 1.3 managament. In that form it put out a very impressive 92kW at the wheels. Up 12-14kW ATW on a std. 108kW engine.

Advertisement

We installed a Haltech E6X ECU and fitted four Chev. LS1 coils (batch fire and wasted spark). The power jumped to a very impressive 101kW ATW. We may have tweaked it a bit more, but unfortunately the injectors hit 85-90% duty cycle. We really didn't expect it to make that much power!

You can see it (hear it) this Sunday at Oran Park.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Damn Peter, your not meant to post such inspiring results, I keep telling myself I will be happy with std management, but another 10 kW and better drivability is so tempting.
    Has the client considered going for a stage 2 cam now that its running a haltech? I would love to see the above engine tuned to the stage 2 cam (obviously bigger injectors are needed though).

How much is an e6x going for these days? And how much does it cost to convert to the individual coils. Do you have a photo of the setup??

Keep up the good work!!!!

Dave

E6X - $1350, plus you'll need a Camira MAP sensor. Coils are $70 each, plus you'll need special leads made up, another $150.

Naturally he's very impressed with the increase. That much power in a 205 is a handfull and super competitive anyway. He doesn't need any more ideas. He's my opposition in the Supersprint series.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    E6X - $1350, plus you'll need a Camira MAP sensor. Coils are $70 each, plus you'll need special leads made up, another $150.

Naturally he's very impressed with the increase. That much power in a 205 is a handfull and super competitive anyway. He doesn't need any more ideas. He's my opposition in the Supersprint series.
    You wouldn't have the dyno print outs of the 92kw and 101kw runs would you?
    What revs did the engine make peak power in each case? Have you increased the rev limit since moving to the haltech?

How is your supersprint car coming along??

Dave

The rev limit was set at 7100, same as std.. We ran out of duty cycle, so called it quits at that RPM. But there may have been more there to get, not sure. Sorry, I didn't get a copy.

My car's progress has been very slow due to piston ring and family issues. Block is now ready for assembly, but I'm still waiting for valves.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    My car's progress has been very slow due to piston ring and family issues. Block is now ready for assembly, but I'm still waiting for valves.
    Don't feel bad, I haven't even got the engine out of mine yet, got as far as getting the car up on stands, draining the fluids and removing the radiator so far . Hopefully i'll make some progress this weekend. Thanks again for the info!!

Dave

1000+ Posts

That sounds really impressive Peter ! Just a couple of questions tho......
    Was it done on the same dyno and was the car strapped down front and back?
    The E6 would not have gained the power so it must have been the 4 coils....why? Sequenchial injection??? What has actually made the power gain?

cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

It's always the same dyno, with the car strapped down at the front the same way. The power can only be from the coils and the removal of the AFM. No funny fuels or other black magic, just 98 RON. It was setup as batch fire, not sequential, as only the std. Motronic trigger was used.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Wow, nice gains. Peter, can you remember what the torque curve was like? Were there gains all the way through?

Also with regards to prepping a 205 for track work, are there any suspension modifications that improve the handling, and if so, are there any trade-offs to these mods for road use i.e does it become skittish on the road?

thanks
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

After you have all nice adjustable shocks, springs, camber, etc I think something like this is next on the list:

Torsion Bars 20/21/23mm sets 300.00

Check here:

Dave

Fellow Frogger!

man could you imagine bigger injectors and boost! oh man that would be sweet.

i'm thinkin a small centrifigul blower my fit under there, but then agian there isn't much room ,will have to go look at dads (love saying that)
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

I think the bay is cramped enough already. Bigger injectors and a stage 2 cam would be sweet though.

Dave

1000+ Posts

Icon7

Using the same dyno Peter surely makes it fair dinkum so i am most impressed with what you have achieved.
    This multi-coil setup was suggested to me by my dyno tuner several years ago and finished with saying "but it would be bloody expensive tho "
    You have proved that not to be...albeit $400 is not a lot to gain that much more kw. Power is not cheap to get especially on Pug motors.
    Can you explain the technical side of why it gained that much power for me??

Cheers,
    JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v
    Can you explain the technical side of why it gained that much power for me??
    More reliable current at the plug. The coil(s) being saturated correctly by fine tuning in the software. The difference is noticeble accross the entire rev range.Removing the AFM also contributed to the increase.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Does it take the every day drivability out of the car when you are increasing the power so much? i read your comment that it can be a handfull.
    or is it just inteneded to be a track car anyway.??
    just interested ti know-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Thread Information