Average 205 - what to check/renew for suspension and drive?
  • Help

Default Average 205 - what to check/renew for suspension and drive?

Hi Guys,
    the wife's '89 205 GTI is starting to get a bit worn out. The drive shafts for one are pretty much buggered.

Advertisement

Is there some kind of check list or guide for checking over all of the suspension and drive components to renew them to an as-new state?

Thanks guys, I want to make the car handle again!

-- DJ

Fellow Frogger!

i dont personally know of any guides/check-lists for the suspension but after rego(nxt week) its the next thing im gonna do on my 205 starting with the rear beam. Have to replace the steering rack first tho n ive asked the mechanic to check the bushes front n rear in the meantime. im gonna go thru all with the haynes manual & CD.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    i dont personally know of any guides/check-lists for the suspension but after rego(nxt week) its the next thing im gonna do on my 205 starting with the rear beam. Have to replace the steering rack first tho n ive asked the mechanic to check the bushes front n rear in the meantime. im gonna go thru all with the haynes manual & CD.
    Puggy.
    I had my steering rack reconditioned about 2 years ago but ill tell you it aint easy to find someone who will do it and when i found someone[prestige sterring racks in thomostown]
    i took it back 4 times untill it was right.
    it now works fine.
    the first time they didnt put the parts in properly and it wasnt till it was on the car that we noticed it only had full lock on the left and half lock on the right which meant a 8 point turn it around in the workshop to get it out the door. DOOOOO-HHH!!!!!

ok with the steering, the control arm bushes are the first to check,they are about 40 bucks a side from cravelle.
    when they go your steering feels really floaty,-they can get ruined by oil if you have any leaks and general wear.
    the ball joints[attatched to control arm but non replacable,you need to buy new control arm with ball joint attatched]
    check top suspension mounts[rattles the struts when over cobblestones/rough ground,can make the steering feel floaty too]]
    drop links and all suspension mounts .
    ive done all this and it made a real big difference to the cars steering/cornering.
    also check engine mounts and all things rubber as its about the time for them to go.

now with the rear im about to do the same mid year or so.
    mine seams ok to drive but does have a creaking noise when you get in and out the car so i wanna check that.

hope this stuff helps.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

al

Do the central swaybar bushes too. Mine actually fell out (in a million bits) when i was cleaning the subframe the other day...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thanks guys, gives me a good starting list

Rear beam certainly sounds like a challenge!

-- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Do the central swaybar bushes too. Mine actually fell out (in a million bits) when i was cleaning the subframe the other day...
    so right so right,i forgot about them.
    they make a big difference too.
    also the new style pressed metal clamps are much harder to get in place than the older style.
    i did it myself and shouted and cursed a blue streak.
    next time ill pay someone else to swear.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    I had my steering rack reconditioned about 2 years ago but ill tell you it aint easy to find someone who will do it and when i found someone[prestige sterring racks in thomostown]
    i took it back 4 times untill it was right.
    it now works fine.
    the first time they didnt put the parts in properly and it wasnt till it was on the car that we noticed it only had full lock on the left and half lock on the right which meant a 8 point turn it around in the workshop to get it out the door. DOOOOO-HHH!!!!!
    tyvm! i hadn't taken this into account. great info.
    Puggy.

OH yeah another way to check if the control arm bushes are stuffed is.........go on the freeway and get the car up to about 90k's.
    then accelerate hard and see if the car pulls to the left or right and then comes back again when you take your foot off the pedal.
    this is a good indication of worn control arm bushes.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Thread Information