505 Interior Fan
  • Help

Default 505 Interior Fan

I would be grateful for some pointers about the erratic operation of the interior ventilation fan in my 1986 S2 505 SLi wagon.
    When I first use the car, the interior fan runs quite ok, but it can suddenly stop working sometime later. You can still get some ram fed air through the interior vents when driving along, but nothing when stopped. This can happen when the air con is on - I hope it is not damaging the air con when this happens. It is a frustrating nuisance, especially on hot days.
    The volume of air tends to diminish when I don't actively have my foot on the accelerator, & when stopped at the lights the fan will blow air at the right amount for the slider setting for a time & then change to a much diminished flow.
    I guess that the voltage feed to the fan motor is varying more than it should. I have had these same sort of problems with 504's % 405's. Can anyone give me some clues??
    Thanx,
    John 505

Advertisement

Check the connections going to the fan speed controller which is located in the engine bay behind the passenger strut tower. Also do a quick check of the connections to the fan motor and the earth connection from the battery connection to the body. It could also be a dodgy switch. the contacts can get dirty. You may be able to clean them up with some fine emery paper. The tracks on the printed circuit can also crack. These can be carefully soldered if required. As a last resort you made need new fan brushes. This requires the removal of the sound proofing in the engine bay, which is very brittle and difficult to remove. The brushes are available if you need new ones.

Jarrod

Jarrod,
    Thanks for your suggestions - I'll follow them up & let you know what eventuates.
    John505

Default won't damage the A/C

Hi John,

I wouldn't think you'd damage your A/C if the blower is not running. The compressor will just come on less often as the evaporator will not be heated up as quickly. Bit like having your A/C running on a cold day i.e. with cool air running through the evaporator.

I think you will be the one damaged as you melt into the driver's seat. Good luck with the SLi!
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Most likely to be worn out fan brushes. When not working, give the fan (where it sits behind the brittle firewall material) a tap, and it will most likely start again for a while. If you can not get specific brushes, you can get some standard carbon brushes and trim to suit to fit in the brush holders.

Cheers,

Scott

Gus

While we're on the topic, can anyone give any tips on how to take the blower motor off the plastic blower fan? I realise you have to loosen the weird clip on the end of the driveshaft, but I can't get it off and am afraid to put too much force for fear of snapping the plastic underneath. Anyone managed it?

Tadpole

A combination of multi-grips, persistance and several choice words worked for me! Once you prise off the metal lock-washer, the fan impeller slides off pretty easily. I put a little Areldite on the motor shaft before refitting the impeller. This worked OK.

The second time I did this job (on my other 505), I just bought a new (Valeo) fan with housing for about $200. I think this is the best option if you have the cash.

Good luck, anyway.
    03 406 HDI Sedan

Thread Information