ZF Auto oil/filter change
  • Help

Default ZF Auto oil/filter change

Hi everyone
    I'm looking at doing my own oil and filter change on the 3 speed ZF auto box fitted to my 84 505 Sti Executive. I have usually had this done by Auto Tran. service people before but given I do almost all of the other servicing and repairs I can't see why not. Do I only need a Filter and Pan seal plus oil or is there something else I should know? After following the discussion on Dexron 11 and 111 oils lately I think I will also use the opportunity to fill it with Dexron 11. Appreciate any suggestions advice.
    Thanks.
    Neil

Advertisement

Neil,

Firstly, check the type of fluid for your transmission via either a service manual or ZF. Unfortunately I've found a few who think Dex2 is the cure for all ills and Dex 3 the cause, however it's more a case of "horses for courses" as there are myriads of farious types of ATFs and the one for the box is the only one to use.
    FYI, the latest versions of D3 are being made with even more of certain additives in than their earlier counterparts. If it is recommended as a Dex2 just check if it is Dex2 or Dex2D (the latter being = to TransmaxM)
    As regards the filters; again I can't speak for the 3 speed box but on the 4 speed, it seems that the bolts that hold the base of the transmission on (the base in the box of a 4 speed needs to be removed to access the filter) has a swag of bolts holding it in. Be sure to mark these when you remove them as they are of varying length and it is most important that these are either refitted in the holes from whence they came or bolts of equal size used. If a bolt too long is fited in a couple of cases, it will foul on moving parts inside the transmission and can cause major damage.
    AS I say, this info applies to the 4 speed box so I would suggest clarifying these points before you start.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Icon7

The ZF 3HP22 has four bolts with U shaped pieces of metal holding the sump on. These are all the same length and type. The manual I have for these boxes says to use Esso ATF Dexron B10696, 1.6 litres after draining or 5.2 litres after an overhaul. The filter is under a plate that has from memory four torx screws holding it in. If the box is in good condition all you'll need is the filter and the gasket.

The auto transmission places also check other stuff such as the kickdown adjustment, when the box changes gears under what load and general condition of the insides of it. It cost me $165 last year to get mine professionally serviced. Whilst you are under there check the tightness of the four bolts holding the torque tube to the diff and also the four bolts holing the torque tube to the box. These work loose.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Default ZF auto oil & filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Boyle
    Hi everyone
    I'm looking at doing my own oil and filter change on the 3 speed ZF auto box fitted to my 84 505 Sti Executive. I have usually had this done by Auto Tran. service people before but given I do almost all of the other servicing and repairs I can't see why not. Do I only need a Filter and Pan seal plus oil or is there something else I should know? After following the discussion on Dexron 11 and 111 oils lately I think I will also use the opportunity to fill it with Dexron 11. Appreciate any suggestions advice.
    Thanks.
    Neil
    Neil,
    Alan's advice is good although his reference to the location of the filter may confuse.
    Mention of the various lengths of screws, I'm sure he's referring to the removal of the valve body and yes the screw lengths need watching.

In your case you will only need to remove the filter screws. Be very carefull when refitting that you don't overtighten. The alloy used seems to be very soft and it takes very little to strip the threads. This also applies to the screws securing the pan.

Hey Guys,

I've always used Transmax M in all the ZF's i've ever had, never had one fail and some of them have huge amounts of k's driven

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Default Fwiw...

Hi Neil,

Also note that removing the screen will result in a minor rush of ATF falling out of the box. Just thought I might mention that as I had a little ATF shower when I removed the filter screen out of my STI 3HP22 (the mesh is so fine it holds back some ATF).

When you have the pan off its also a good chance to check/recut/renew the hoses to/from the ATF cooler, and also renew the in-line filter if one has been put in there (I bought a new one for about $20 from a transmission place, take care to put it in the right way).

For the ZF 3HP22, I also vouch for Transmax M, as specified by ZF (DexII equivalent) and recommended by Castrol.

Cheers,

Todd
    Last edited by blizzardboy; 29th January 2006 at 11:49 AM.
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Default ZF Auto oil change

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the helpful hints and advice, I will let you know how it goes
    Neil

Thread Information