205si Engine mods
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205si Engine mods

hey

are there any slight(mayb) cheap mods i can do to my 205 si that would make it go slightly better? its the si model so according to redbook its a carby engine(ie. no fuel injection)

i was thinking cams but then again, i hav no clue, which is why i thought i would talk to u ppls about it, mayb you know a cheap way i can get a little bit more go out of it

cheers

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by PUG205si
    hey

are there any slight(mayb) cheap mods i can do to my 205 si that would make it go slightly better? its the si model so according to redbook its a carby engine(ie. no fuel injection)

i was thinking cams but then again, i hav no clue, which is why i thought i would talk to u ppls about it, mayb you know a cheap way i can get a little bit more go out of it

cheers
    it's a single point injection 1.6l XU5. I'm not exactly sure what's involved in the swap, but if you could source yhe injectors, and head from a 1.6l GTi you could probably build a 1.6l GTi engine, that would produce about as much if not slightly more power then our S2 205 GTi's. Whether it would be a worth while project, I don't really know but it may be worth researching.

VIP Sponsor

hey

cheers
    Make sure that the ignition timing is set correctly. You will need the special tuning computer to do this.
    An aftermarket ECU should give a boost to low end torque, the top end is fine as it is.
    The trouble with this or changing to the GTI set up is that the original ECU also controls the ignition, maybe this could be left to do this job whilst the replacement controls fuel.
    If you fitted a GTi manifold, injection and a better cam it would go very well indeed as the Si has a better head than the Series 1 Australian GTi. The 1.6 is an excellent engine.
    Problems would include brakes which are smaller and non vented and maybe a little torque steer due to the different front end design.
    If the car is in good condition it is probably worth modifying it, even to full GTi spec rather than swap for a GTi as good GTis are now very hard to come by, Sis have a better interior/seats and of course power steering with a quicker steering ratio.

Meanwhile an aftermarket ECU on your existing engine and injection would be the easiest and most cost effective way of improving the cars performance.

Graham

I've got plenty of GTi inlet manifolds, throttle bodies, etc. if you wanted to go the aftermarket ECU route.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I've got plenty of GTi inlet manifolds, throttle bodies, etc. if you wanted to go the aftermarket ECU route.
    A Megasquirt ECU will run the original single injector throttle body system but if Peter has the multi point bits it probably wouldn't be a lot more difficult or expensive to convert to the GTi setup.
    Graham

Tadpole

really? what would be involved in getting the aftermarket ECU put in? keep im mind i make about 200-250 dollars a week so im not looking for anything huge. thanks for that Peter, any more info would be awesome thanks.

a mate of mine is putting in a high flow cat for me for free, dunno what it will do, guess we will see.

Thanks so much guyz. i really wanna see what my car could do

they might be nice and let you do a hire purchase thing

Tadpole

haha im only 17, so that would be nice, but i can save up, maybe get a bit off my parents as a loan.

any more info on the aftermarket ECU would be great thanks(eg prices etc etc)

VIP Sponsor

haha im only 17, so that would be nice, but i can save up, maybe get a bit off my parents as a loan.

any more info on the aftermarket ECU would be great thanks(eg prices etc etc)
    You can get a Megasquirt kit for $200 but you need to know a bit about electronics and have experience in assembling same.
    The Megasquirt is good because of the support you can get from the internet to get the project sorted. Have a look at the Megasquirt website.
    Realistically though, unless you have expereince in electronics or know someone who has it may all be too hard and/or expensive.
    Otherwise you could fit the GTi fuel system and maybe import a 1.6 ECU and Air Flow Meter from the UK, this way everything would be standard Peugeot, and you would just have to adapt the wiring.

For the time being though I would concentrate on just getting the car going as it should, mine went extremely well, good enough to get high placings in motokhana, khanacross and even hillclimb motorsport events.
    A worthwhile modification is 14 inch wheels, I used 175 by 60 tyres on steel 405 rims.
    Don't change the exhaust, don't change the springs etc, just get everything working as it should and it will be a great car to drive.

There are 205s being molested all over the place and very few are improved by all of the time and money spent on them. I am sorting out just such a car, a series 1 GTi at the moment.

Graham

I have a 1.6L GTi ECU and harness, in addition to all the manifolding. Does the Si have a separate distributor/ignition system like the early GTi's?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I have a 1.6L GTi ECU and harness, in addition to all the manifolding. Does the Si have a separate distributor/ignition system like the early GTi's?
    No, the Si is fully electronic, not even a high tension distributor.
    Hopefully it would continue to run OK if the fuel system is disabled or maybe just fit a distributor.
    Graham

Thread Information