aluminium head repairs
  • Help

Default aluminium head repairs

Does anyone know how well some of the high temp aluminium putties work on aluminium heads, I have a head that has warped between #1 and 2 cylinders but repairable, I am looking at JB weld, Belzona compound and Devcon for the repair. Belzona is the prefered product. has anyone had any experiance with this type of repair on a al head. oh its not my car, just my work van (ford econovan)
    http://lprtools.eck.net.au/specials/...eld/JBweld.htm
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

Advertisement

Just weld it up and machine it flat. Don't mess about with bog.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Just weld it up and machine it flat. Don't mess about with bog.
    Agree, bog is a wate ot time and money.

if its only warped then why should it need welding? (or bog, which i agree is a waste of time and money)

just get it shaved down.................and if its warped so bad that it cant be shaved without taking heaps off, then chuck it in the bin and get another one from the wreckers.

Is it SOHC? If so, the cam tunnel will be out of whack now, machined or not.

What alerted you to the warped head? A popped gasket? Then you may have hot spots - either patches corroded thin or restricted cooling passages. Van engines are pretty much "Out of sight, out of mind" so when things go wrong it's often a bit of mucking about to fix the cumulative total of issues that brought the last episode on.

At one level this can seem costly, but if you divide this cost by time since last major service, the daily amount is pretty small.

Realistically, you may be looking at an exchange head, doo-dads associated with that (water pump, thermo/housing, radiator flush/hoses) and a couple of days out of action while it gets done. Even in third world countries, they'd linish a head rather than load it with metallised epoxy.

Cheers, Adam.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, I should note that this is an experiment of mine. The head has a 3/4"dia x 60 thou deep hot spot between 1-2 cylinders, warping is acceptable as I expect the engine to die within a few thousand km. we are going to be using more advanced epoxi resins for the replacement of minor damage to AL components at work and I want to see how long the stuff would last on the head of a van, noting the "out of sight, out of mind" area.

So back to the original question, has anyone tried this type of repair with the shelf items or have stories of a friend that tried to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by addo
    Is it SOHC? If so, the cam tunnel will be out of whack now, machined or not.

What alerted you to the warped head? A popped gasket? Then you may have hot spots - either patches corroded thin or restricted cooling passages. Van engines are pretty much "Out of sight, out of mind" so when things go wrong it's often a bit of mucking about to fix the cumulative total of issues that brought the last episode on.

At one level this can seem costly, but if you divide this cost by time since last major service, the daily amount is pretty small.

Realistically, you may be looking at an exchange head, doo-dads associated with that (water pump, thermo/housing, radiator flush/hoses) and a couple of days out of action while it gets done. Even in third world countries, they'd linish a head rather than load it with metallised epoxy.

Cheers, Adam.

Used Devcon F aluminium putty as temp head repair without a problem sold tyhe car 4 years later with ity still there It happened after tye head wen porous after it was welded and machined.

I have seen it work well in aircraft repairs where the outsuide temp gets as low as -59*C ye minus 59 C

so the stuff is pretty good

There is another product called scotch weld and Aralidite does a metal based structural aralaldite

They all appear to work as advertised I understand that scotch weld and devcon are made or qualified as a military spec'd product.... dont know which spec thoug

Hope it helps
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

yes devcon has a Mil spec and scotch weld is unknown to me. cotronics has been pretty good as well but I cant get a supplier in australia at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy

They all appear to work as advertised I understand that scotch weld and devcon are made or qualified as a military spec'd product.... dont know which spec thoug

Hope it helps

try this link... they are very helpfull

http://www.industrysearch.com.au/pro...rd.asp?id=6709

and for contronics in Australia

http://www.measuretech.com.au/index2.html
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Thread Information