MI16 running problem
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default MI16 running problem

Can anyone help me? Ive got a 91 MI16 and cant get it to run right. It missfires and has no power through the rev range. Ive checked for air leaks in the rubber pipe work, replaced the air flow meter, plugs, leads, coil, dizzy cap, inlet manifold gasket, timing belt, swaped the injectors from another 405and even had the head of and ground the valves in. Still the same problem is there HELP im lost

Advertisement

2 suggestions; have you changed the fuel filter? Fuel starvation can cause this.

Plug leads; when you fit them, do you spray a bit of silicone spray around the edges of the leads before fitting? The number I've found where the metal part in the head of the plug lead is sitting 10 mm or more above the top of the plug, I've lost count of. In cases like this, being HT, the spark intensifies and will take its least line oif resistence to earth which in many cases is through the insulation at any weak spot and usually to the head under the valley cover.

Failing this, look at the wiring to a few of the sensors in particular the C A S as the wiring can also cause problems if there's any degredation of the insulation or more particularly the actual wire.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

As Alan has suggested, a new fuel filter and possibly a test of the fuel pressure. It should be around 40 PSI or about 2.7 Bar.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

The other thing that I would check is the Top Dead Centre (TDC) sensor which is directly below the thermostat on the bell housing. I had the same problem on my 405 (8V) and after changing leads, distributor rotor/cap plus plugs and having no luck my mechanic found a slight leak of coolant that was dropping straight onto the sensor and shorting it out. After replacing the o-rings on the thermostat and stopping the leak she was fine.

Even if you dont have a leak you may still find the sensor is stuffed.

Have you cleaned up under the Bosch ignition module and given it a new application of heat transfer compound?

Also check that they is 13-14V at the coil and the ECU while it's running.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

cheers for the ideas ill try them out and let you know how I get on

Tadpole

Tried almost all your ideas. Havent been able to check the wiring as its lways dark by the time i get a chance, have to wait till the weekend. still no better after trying everything else though.

Thread Information