Diffs and Blowers
  • Help

Default Diffs and Blowers

Hey guys,

Quaife Diffs.
    Is there one to fit a Manual 98 406 SV sedan?

Also thinking (pipe dream) of either turbo or supercharging it. have spoken to C.A.P.A and they recon supercharging can be done. Dunno bout turbo. What does anyone think?

Thanks.

Tim

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by pokinacha
    Hey guys,

Quaife Diffs.

Also thinking (pipe dream) of either turbo or supercharging it. have spoken to C.A.P.A and they recon supercharging can be done. Dunno bout turbo. What does anyone think?

Thanks.

Tim
    Hi Tim
    Let me pose a different way of looking at this... I think if you want a faster car;- your better of making it lighter than more powerfull....
    A more powerfull engine just improves things in one basic direction, (forward) a lighter car though improves braking, cornering AND forward acceleration.
    I would invest money in making the car weigh less. Such perhaps light weight alloys (no fat chrome), R-spec tyres, Race buckets (they are pretty good for everyday use along as your not 300pd), removing carpets were not needed (ie under the bonnet) a lighter exhaust system (that doesn't have to mean louder, just lighter).....
    You can take it further if you don't need the rear seats, remove the spare (when was the last time you got a flat?), the boot carpet & jack, the interior carpet, there is over 100Kg in carpet & seats alone. Just my twisted pov. - Chris

ps, Supercharging is more usable in the everyday.
    ... ptui!

Lightening the car is an idea i have thought about. as for handling it's fantastic as all 406 drivers can bear witness to. braking is also fantastic. i've jumped on the anchors in emergencies and no lockups and no ABS intervention. next on my list is power. i don't want a million HP. just enough to make overtaking and takeoffs safer. thus where the diff comes in.

Tim

Lightening the car is an idea i have thought about. as for handling it's fantastic as all 406 drivers can bear witness to. braking is also fantastic. i've jumped on the anchors in emergencies and no lockups and no ABS intervention. next on my list is power. i don't want a million HP. just enough to make overtaking and takeoffs safer. thus where the diff comes in.

Tim
    Just think that the braking, & handling will be better again!.... I don't know that on a normal road you will have much better over taking or take off with the diff. Its a big improvement but comes more onto its own on the traclk.
    Either way good luck. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Just think that the braking, & handling will be better again!.... I don't know that on a normal road you will have much better over taking or take off with the diff. Its a big improvement but comes more onto its own on the traclk.
    Either way good luck. - Chris
    I agree. Bigger brakes are on the agenda.

the diff would come last IF i go for forced induction. last thing i want is shredded tyres.
    Thanks
    Tim

next on my list is power. i don't want a million HP. just enough to make overtaking and takeoffs safer. thus where the diff comes in.

Tim
    Just a little perplexed here????????????
    My Scenic is by no means blisteringly fast and I have had no trouble taking off safely
    Overtaking may have it's advantages there
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Re forced induction,speak to an automotive engineer.the RTA or whoever is your governing body can provide you with a list of autherised signatureys.There might be emision concerns, and drive train and breaks issuse that will need to be resolved before you get it certified.This could equal lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$, and it might be easier just to get a more powerful car to begin with.
    Jo

Default Supercharging

Hey guys,

Quaife Diffs.

Thanks.

Tim

If you are considering supercharging have a look at this link.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinf...rge/index.html

It is a little dated, but still good basic info for anyone considering supercharging or turbo charging. Heavily biased to the Holdens and Fords and BMC cars of the era.

It is also written by a man with impeccable credentials in the Australian motor racing scene, sadly deceased.

Really worth the time to read through the whole document.

Go the LSD for sure!!!
    It transformed my 205. Even with std gti it was near impossible to take off in the wet without wheel spin(even with good tyres), now it can take off in the wet as if it was dry.
    The only thing to get used too was not powering into corners mainly in the wet as it would understeer, you soon get used to that but you can plant your foot way earlier out of a turn with the LSD.
    The braking is also very even due to the LSD.
    As for turbo/supercharge, you can do it to any motor, its only factors are your wallet and the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Re forced induction,speak to an automotive engineer.the RTA or whoever is your governing body can provide you with a list of autherised signatureys.There might be emision concerns, and drive train and breaks issuse that will need to be resolved before you get it certified.This could equal lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$, and it might be easier just to get a more powerful car to begin with.
    Jo
    But i like Peugeots! i don't want a skyline GTR, Holden V8, WRX, M3(i like M3's but cant afford one), FPV, insert generic performance car here.

I want a Peugeot that can keep up with a V8 in a straight line and take a WRX up a windy hill like Mt Victoria! Is that so wrong?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Just a little perplexed here????????????
    My Scenic is by no means blisteringly fast and I have had no trouble taking off safely
    Overtaking may have it's advantages there

If i had more power, an LSD would stop me, to a certain extent, from destroying my tyres. I also live in Bathurst and am going to join the Bathurst Light Car Club to run in event such as hill climbs and supersprints up and down the mount. i want to get to the point of having a Peugeot that is competitive in light racing and that i can drive to sydney efficiently and safely.

Tim

Thread Information