K&N apollo induction system
  • Help

Default K&N apollo induction system

Came accross this product and thought perhaps this might be a cheaper and safer alternative then a K&N typhoon system. Considering the typhoon is $700and is suseptible to wet pot holes because of its position.

The K&N Apollo CIS (Cold Intake System) is a universal cold air intake system incorporating a washable/reusable K&N High-Flow Air Filter. The Apollo’s shell reduces heat build-up feeding only cool air to your engine, resulting in improved volumetric efficiency and increased power gains. Built with a standard 70mm intake and base flange, the Apollo is supplied with the following accessories, saddle bracket, bracket fasteners, an expandable cold air intake hose up to one meter long with a diameter of 70 mm, and die cut decals. Additional accessories include a range of stepped adaptors (from 70mm – 70mm, part #85-6002, 70mm - 60mm part #85-6003, and 70mm - 80mm part #85-6001). The main body housing/heat-shield, 70mm inlet adaptor, and 70mm base adaptor are manufactured from co-polymer (polypropylene). Apollo is ideal for normally aspired engines up to 250BHP and turbo engines up to 350BHP. It allows for updating your intake system while retaining a closed environment. Apollos are available in a Red, Blue and Silver.

Retails in aus for $210

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

http://www.ingramsauto.com.au/default.asp?d=102024

Has anyone in tried this type of system?

Advertisement
    Last edited by WRC180; 15th January 2006 at 04:18 PM.
    04' GTi 180

$200 for an air filter!!!

just measure some pvc pipe of your air box, paint it chrome and put a bit of fly screen gause over the top if you wanna look ricey.

that thing. in short.. is a waste of 10 cartens of beer!

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie

just measure some pvc pipe of your air box, paint it chrome and put a bit of fly screen gause over the top if you wanna look ricey.

I think its a bit more then just an air filter, it seems to be competing with the piper cross induction system which is twice as expensive.

http://www.pipercross.net/viper_product.asp
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by bowie

It is crazy, but don't forget that there are other simple induction systems that cost $700++!!! It's bloody ridiculous cos the materials and labour going into making these, especially the non-custom made/installed-by-vestal-virgins type intakes. Just a simple bellmouth intake. Anything to do with cars, they charge heaps because there are so many gullible people out there buying it. Mufflers are a classic example. There are some s/s mufflers out there costing $1000+.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

IN short-they got the intake and exhaust right the first time on these cars.
    apart from the sound.,these mods dont do alot and for the money they cost,well id rather put that into the motor.
    but of course by all means if you want to buy it,but it.
    it may do some good that we dont know about.
    --BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

I"ve just stuck a pod in the factory air box in the s16 and left the bottom off... it's made a massive differance.... or it could of been that the other filter was FUBR

What about splashback? I was going to put my pod in the same place, instead its kinda squashed between the battery and the grill nice and warm

moosey

The ozRS.com guys are hoping to dyno a RSC 182 with and without one of these this Saturday at our Dyno Day. If people are interested I'll post up a link to the results.

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    The ozRS.com guys are hoping to dyno a RSC 182 with and without one of these this Saturday at our Dyno Day. If people are interested I'll post up a link to the results.
    Hell yah, give us the results.

I'm looking at an induction kit for the 180, the S16 has a Green Cotton Pod Filter and I did notice that throttle response was a lot better. I'm not a ricey kinda guy but damn the noise it makes sounds good. I'm hoping throttle response will improve with the 180 as well, sometimes it's a little slow when heel toeing.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

That would be nice
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Hell yah, give us the results.

I'm looking at an induction kit for the 180, the S16 has a Green Cotton Pod Filter and I did notice that throttle response was a lot better. I'm not a ricey kinda guy but damn the noise it makes sounds good. I'm hoping throttle response will improve with the 180 as well, sometimes it's a little slow when heel toeing.

Rich
    "206 RC" has green cotton twister kit installed on his, ask him how he finds it.

I drove his car a few times, it's not noticible at all at low revs, but once you open up the throttle, the noise is so much more deeper and sporty, throttle response seems to be quicker and rev happier.
    Last edited by J206GTI; 18th January 2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added my own feedback
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    That would be nice

Or you could bring your car down to the dyno day to not only see the results but see how the 180 stacks up against the 182
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Quote Originally Posted by ClioF1
    Or you could bring your car down to the dyno day to not only see the results but see how the 180 stacks up against the 182
    Without sounding too much of cop out, the 180 is being serviced this monday, if it is to be dynoed I prefer for it to be done after servicing. As for saturday, I may pop down just to take a look.
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    Without sounding too much of cop out, the 180 is being serviced this monday, if it is to be dynoed I prefer for it to be done after servicing. As for saturday, I may pop down just to take a look.
    I would love to see the two graphs. Total power would probably be very close, but it would be very interesting to see the torque spread. The 182 certainly feels the torquier, but it would be interesting to see if this was more to do with the engine or its lower weight.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by DanoS16
    What about splashback? I was going to put my pod in the same place, instead its kinda squashed between the battery and the grill nice and warm
    I"ve kept the bottom to the air box so i can put it back in when it rains lots...

I've got my abs unit in the way so i can't put a pod there...

Last edited by DRTDVL; 19th January 2006 at 03:38 PM.

That'd be fantastic.
    -- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    I"ve kept the bottom to the air box so i can put it back in when it rains lots...

I've got my abs unit in the way so i can't put a pod there...

I need to get those two hoses ( air duct and throttle body ones ) that didnt come with the car. My filter is all squashed up on one side where it hits the battery box and ive bodged a hose from the air duct pointed at the pod which seemed to improve it a bit.

I cut away a bit of the grille where the air duct starts and that really helped as there was a lip underneath that half blocked the duct (and probably stopped bugs & water). Bad move?

i did this... to get more air....

I'm really interested to see the results on the dyno. I'm looking at getting something like this for my 180, but only if it is beneficial.

Any news on the results from the dyno yet?
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix
    I'm really interested to see the results on the dyno. I'm looking at getting something like this for my 180, but only if it is beneficial.

Any news on the results from the dyno yet?
    Have a read of this thread, specifically my two replies, hopefully that will help you with your decision.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31502
    04' GTi 180

Thread Information