504 gear change
  • Help

Thread: 504 gear change

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 gear change

The 504 wagon gear change is really loose, sometimes it is difficult to engage reverse. Took the lid of and and had a look at the linkages seem ok apart from the one that's at the bottom of the gear lever it self. There is a box section bracket with a pin that goes through it to connect it to the gear lever. At the moment it is metal to metal with what I estimate to be 2 to 3mm of play with noticeable wear on the pin. Should there be a rubber bush in there? In comparision with the sedan there is heaps more movement although it is a different setup. I imagine this to be because of the different lay out of the drive trains of the two vehicles. All information and advice welcome regards cane toad

Advertisement

I take it your wagon is an early model (pre 1980)?

My 404 wagon has an early 504 wagon gearbox and selector mechanism. When I replaced the gearbox in it a few months back, I went through exactly what you are talking about.

There are 2 areas that give trouble. The first, as you describe as the box section that has the pin that goes through the gear selector lever, and the second is the pin on that box section that goes through a tube that is welded to the bracket that bolts to the gearbox.

There is a removeable bush in the gear lever, that you can press out and replace. I replaced the bush and the bolt, and it was nice and tight again. I left a generous coating of Dri-Lube in there as well.

The piece that goes through the bracket on the gear selector, does have 2 plastic bushes in there. I ended up getting 4 new ones and packing them all in there. A little more Dri-Lube, and it was good to go. This made it a little tight at first, but after a couple of days driving, it had loosened up and is now a nice, tight gearshift, better than some sedans that I have driven.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info, I will give Dapco a bell and see if he has them in stock, shouldn't be to hard to find The wagon is a 1980 model and in comparision with the sedan a lot more robust vehicle I think, seems better put together too. The camper wagon sounds like an interesting project, for a cheap bit of motoring fun I don't think yu could do much better. regards cane toad

Seems unusual for a 1980. Do you know what the build date is of your wagon? Does it definately have the earlier style long gear shifter where the selector comes out of the floor, or is it like a sedan, with a centre console and short gear stick?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Not sure of the build date but is of the centre console short gear shift variety,, 7 seater, weber carbie and 12 monthe rego rapt regards cane toad

Thread Information