S1 205gti with S3 motor
  • Help

Default S1 205gti with S3 motor

got motor in. got engine loomb on it (S3 loomb with S3 ecu) then there are a few spots where i cant plug the new into the old. main ones being the two brow connectors that come off the engine loomb before it goes through the firewall. and a four pin brown connector that is on the longest part of the engine loomb and joines another one that comes from the car loomb that comes from the fuse/relay boar.

Advertisement

so. i get the S3 car loomb. it is mostly there the above mentioned four pin connector has a few broken wires but can be fixed and a few things have been cut but i think it can be sorted. my problem is that if i take out the old loomb and put the new one in i dont know if the things it has to plug into (other than the S3 engine loomb which it of course matches partners for the three plugs i mentioned above.) like will it work with the S1 instrument cluster? this was going to be a problem as the tacho has a differant signal from S1 to S3. S1 uses coil(i think...) will indicator/wiper switches work? will the old switches work? they dont plug strait in. (hazzard lights-fog light-rear windscreen demister etc) and is the plug that goes from the fuse/relay board to the fuel pump etc going to be the same?

essentially can it be done or is it more like impossible? i am farly sure that i am going to have to swap the car loombs for it to work. and if this is possible where to i go to get the relays that go on the car loomb? the ones that are at the front LHS of the car? i have one of four or is it one of five? that are required. can the plugs be rewired using the relays off the S1? i have all these.

any ideas welcome.

Andrew
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

al

I couldn't have less of an idea an idea about your problem, but good luck.

Maybe if it's like my engine it won't need to be plugged in? I swear there are more loose wires than attached ones in my car...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

when i get round to re-wiring my car (hopefully by mid-year) i will probably start by taking notes on voltages, current etc. with a schematic it makes thing much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by al
    I swear there are more loose wires than attached ones in my car...
    hehe, im still finding wires here n there going nowhere.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    when i get round to re-wiring my car (hopefully by mid-year) i will probably start by taking notes on voltages, current etc. with a schematic it makes thing much easier.

hehe, im still finding wires here n there going nowhere.
    Puggy.
    That would be a very good thing to have.if you do do the schematic,could i please get a copy.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

gave up. shortly after starting this thread i foun yet another couple of things that were just not going to match up. so i have wired it up as a S1. almost done. now just got to do cooland and make sure all the oil piping is on and she should be a goer!! man it feels good to finaly get somewhere after months of getting nowhere. i know the engine wont be a tru S3 anymore. but hey it will run!!!

best of luck to anyone that ever attempts this conversion. was just tooo hard for me.

al

I guess the most important thing is to get it going...

But perhaps Graham Wallis will have something to say on this. I think that he is putting a later model engine into his latest 205, although maybe he hasn't gotten this far yet.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

it goes! ...well i have started it a couple of times. bue i need the sensor from the radiator that i left in melbourne so it has no coolant at the mo. will try to get it up and running on the weekend.

if what al says is true and you see this Graham, you want any of my S3 wiring etc? i have it all!

Thread Information