94gti steering
  • Help

Thread: 94gti steering

Default 94gti steering

what usually goes wrong with power steering on the 205?

its a 94gti

my cars steering is really stiff, more so than my s1gti with no power steering!

turning right is worse, you can turn right, let go of the wheel and it keeps turning, it wont come back on its own.

i bought the car with accident damage to the front right and have spent the last five day repairing it. all the damage was foward of the strut towers, and when i first drove the car after finishing it, it caused no dramas, but the longer i drove it the worse the steering has got.

the car is lowered, and has had new front struts at the start of the year, the front right strut growns, and is alot worse when hot (its quiet when cold), its not bent, and i have pulled it out and greased up the bearing and rubbers, but the noise persists. i also changed the sway bar link. does lowering the front usually cause any problems

Advertisement

any idea's?

i'm starting to think my problem may be the steering column bearings, has any one had them fail before?

or is there any other places a tight spot has occured in the stering before?
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

What about the balljoint on the lower wishbone which the hub attaches to? Those can wear and become very sticky (then let go completely...).

When i replaced mine the steering freed up considerably and i also got rid of a clicking noise when turning.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

I finally found the problem

the steering column was a good inch or more out of alighnment, too high!

this was causing the steering to jam, and was the cause of my indicator to not returning by itself, or ignition lock not working. I put it back together with a bit of a grease up, and now they all work better than new

my right strut still growns from either the spring or top rubbers not sitting right though
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

Thread Information