Car Door Lining - Sticky Goo?
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Car Door Lining - Sticky Goo?

Cant seem to find out what this goo/adhesive is?

It holds the plastic lining onto the door frame, normally black & stays gooey & sticky (like chewing gum) all the time.

Advertisement

Anyone know of a commercially available equivalent?

Cheers

I used Contact self adhesive sheet on the door skin of one car, and thick shrink wrap sheet held in place with Bostick 5615 black sealant, that skins on another. The sag in the shrink wrap being stretched with a quick hit with Mum’s blow drier while Mum was out. Both seem to work well. If the car has the original plastic sheeting on the doors, you may find that there will be a flap stuck on the outer side (outer door skin side) of the plastic sheet. This is to deflect water that drips onto the rear of the plastic sheet running down the back of the sheet and ponding between the inner door skin and the plastic sheet (or breaching the sealing sheet and running behind the door trim, buckling the board).

Also depending on what door trim clips you have, you may need snapsacs to prevent water dripping in through the door trim holes and again buckling the board. If the original Renault clips haven’t broken, they should be OK without snapsacs, but if they are replaced by metal clips, then they will have to be sealed somehow.

Details on the Bostik sealants here, they generally seem to be available from crash repair suppliers, not sure if Super Cheap still stocks good stuff like this though. I know they no longer stock the decent Norma hose clips…..

I didn't use the 5614 sealant because as you say, it stays gooey and goes everywhere!

http://www.bostik.com.au/distributio...astic_page.htm

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Cant seem to find out what this goo/adhesive is?

It holds the plastic lining onto the door frame, normally black & stays gooey & sticky (like chewing gum) all the time.

Anyone know of a commercially available equivalent?

Cheers
    I figure any contact adhesive would do the same thing - that's what I use
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

nate, its a Mustik type product I think its called Never-Cure. Go to your local bunings and just ask for a non curing/hardening sealant. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information