Crankshaft Pulley Nut size
  • Help

Default Crankshaft Pulley Nut size

Hi All
    Can some one tell me what size socket will fit on the crankshaft pulley bolt on a 1985 505SR motor. XN1
    Thanks
    Neil

Advertisement

36mm.
    There isn't alot of room to get a socket in there. I managed to find a tool supply place in Brisbane who sold 1/2'' drive 36mm sockets.
    36mm in 1/2''drive is hard to come by, 3/4'' is common(Supercheap have sets) but the handle/socket becomes too large to fit if the radiator is still in place.
    If you can only get a 3/4'' socket and drive, remove the upper radiator support bracket and carefully lift the radiator up and move the bottom edge forward and this will give you more room. It has been 18months since I worked on a 505SR engine so I hope I am correct.
    The one on the car I last worked on was so tight, we had to remove the sump and lock the crankshaft with a piece of 2''x4'' wood so as not to do any damage because the key locks I made for the flywheel kept shattering
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default 35mm or 1 3/8" (if it will fit)

35 mm.

I did my XN6 (same crank set up as the XN1) with a 3/4"-drive 1 3/8" socket (34.93mm). If you can get hold of a ratchet drive, this will make it easier to remove the nut once you have loosened it with your breaker bar. I placed a thin sheet of MDF between the radiator and the work area.

I used a chain wrench to hold the pulley and a 2' extension on my torque wrench to tighten the nut. With the torque wrench and extension in a straight line the torque calculation is:

T(set on wrench)=T(on nut)*length(wrench)/length(wrench+extension)

I introduced myself to a local mechanic and he was happy to lend me a socket, etc if I left some proof of identity with him.

Cheers,
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Default Crank nut size..

To reduce the bulkiness of using a 35mm 3/4 drive socket weld an old 1/2 drive socket "piggyback" fashion to the 35mm. [Same for PRV6 with 36mm].
    This should allow a breaker bar easy access to the socket.
    The chain grip method as has been suggested for holding the pulley is one I've used on XN engines.

The easiest way to turn the engine for tappet and ign adjustment is by turning the alternator pulley, at the same time applying pressure to the belt.

Default SR Cranshaft Bolt size

Thank everyone
    appreciate the quick reponse but could some one just confirm whether it's a 35mm or a 36mm?
    Neil

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

should be the same size as the rear axle nut which is 35mm

i can go out to the shed to check in a min if you like as i have axles out there

i know i have both a 35 and a 36 here but the 35 id the one i seem to use all the time for crank and axle nuts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

ok just had a look at the 604 in the shed

the axle nuts are 36mm but the crank nut is 35mm hence the reason i tend to use the 35mm more often than not

as far as i know the 504/505 should be the same size between the axle nut and the crank nut

are you trying to take the nit off or are you just trying to turn the engine over to set the tappets ?

if you are just doing the tappets then just take the plugs out and turn the engine over via the belt or just put it in gear and roll the car with the plugs out so long as you aren't on a hill
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Crankshaft Pulley nut

Thanks again
    It's on my son's car in Vic. and he has just rebuilt the motor, so he' want's to set the tappits but its stiff to turn over. I will tell him it's 35mm. or he can try your sugestion of putting it in gear and rolling it, luckily he's on flat ground so it's worth a try.
    Neil

Thread Information