I really enjoy this website, although I spend way too much time wading through the threads!
I own and self-manage a 1984 505 STI and a 1986 505 SLi wagon. The STI has books from the new; the SLi has none!
Yesterday I bit the bullet and cleaned up the throttle body, air flow sensor and oil bath filter on my SLi. What a difference this has made. I removed a lot of build up from around the butterfly valve and sensor plate, flushed out the vacuum/air ports on the throttle body, and replaced the filter oil. I had to slow down the idle speed a couple of turns on restart - just shows how much restriction to air flow there is in the throttle body when dirty.
I also pulled out my starter motor and had it reconditioned (new bushes and drive).
The car starts beautifully and runs well. I took it for a run out on the freeway last night - it was purring and there is noticeably more power following the clean up. I am hoping to see some improvement in fuel economy (currently 11.5l/100km around town running on BP Ultimate) but I won't hold my breath on that one.
I also cleaned up/re-crimped some of the connections in the big black plug on the main power line (located near the battery). This has remedied the voltage problems I was having. Under large current loads (A/C fan on, brake lights on, indicators on, radio on, blower fan on) there was insufficient voltage reaching the fuse board due to the voltage drop at the plug (indicators were slow, windows wouldn't open, climate control relay would click in time with the indicators).
I have done a fair bit of work on the SLi now: front and rear sway bar links, engine mounts, radiator recore, restored thermoclutch operation, thermoswitch replaced, AFM/throttle body/oil bath service, fuel tank leak fix, head light adjusters, power windows service, fixed odometer, reco starter, different wiring issues, new tie rod end, steering flector replaced, cold start injector replaced, brake line flush, etc. I think I might have bought a lemon!? Anyhow, all is well now.
I am now itching to clean up the air flow meter and throttle body on the STI.
I recently replaced the cam belt and water pump on the STI. I will replace all three belts soon. Last weekend I fixed up my reversing light by replacing the inhibitor switch with a second hand one from U-Pull-It. Next job on the STI is to replace the steering rack with a second hand one I bought from U-Pull-It and flush the brake lines. BTW, I fixed up the spring in the gear selector handle using the spring steel from off a set of Corolla points that were lying around. Bugger of a job to get to the broken spring but most rewarding once fixed!
I also removed a starter motor from an STI at U-Pull-It. Took me less than half an hour with only a 13mm socket and ratchet. Wasn't too difficult I thought. Removing/replacing the SLi starter motor was slightly more fiddly but not too bad: I used a 13-mm spanner (ratchet ring spanner would have been ideal, firewall insulation already removed previously) for the top bolt while working from above and a 13mm socket, long and short extensions and a flex bar for the bottom bolt while working from below. I removed the starter from below on the STI and from above on the SLi (unplug cold start injector wiring and remove auxillary air valve rear hose.)
I am not sure if this contribution will interest anyone but I just had to tell someone who might be able to relate! (my wife is supportive but I think she would like me to be inside a little more - hopefully I have broken the back of the work now).