I did something
  • Help

Thread: I did something

Default I did something

Hi Froggers, I took off the spark plug leads on my 504 ti and don't know how to put them back the right way doh!
    I'm normally careful doing one at a time so this doesn't happen but I was with someone and got carried away.
    would the RACV work it out?
    embarrassed
    nickc

Advertisement

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Hi nickc!

The same happened to a few member on our club (club505) so, I'll translate this for you. Please, do not understand our jokes as an insult. We use to mess around a lot with words...

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa
    Y ahora en nuestra habitual sección "Me mandé una cagada, no tendría que haber tocado", nuestro maestro el Dr. Sarragabatusi tratará la siguiente problemática: "Toqué lo' cableh, y ahora no ashanca viteh"

La primer comprobación es la siguiente. Saber que cilindro está en compresión. Nada de andar sacando la tapa de válvulas y ver cual cilindro está en balanceo (ambas válvulas atacando), ni nada de eso. Nuestro auto tiene una ventaja MUY grande, y es la ubicación de sus bujías.

Sacamos una (puede ser cualquiera, CUALQUIERA). Recomiendo la del cilindro 4. (la más próxima a uno, o sea al radiador).

Quitada ésta, auto en 4ta marcha, lo vamos moviendo LENTAMENTE hacia adelante, con la palma de la mano tapando todo el hueco de la bujía (el tubo). En un momento el auto soplará nuestra mano, pues ambas válvulas están cerradas y ése pistón está subiendo, pues está en compresión. Cuando deja de soplar, comenzará a hacer succión si lo seguimos moviendo, pues empieza a bajar, sin abrir las válvulas, claro. Utilizando la técnica "cuando deja de soplar y apenas antes de empezar a chupar" yendo hacia adelante y atrás, podemos ubicar cuando el pistón quedó arriba del todo (PMS; Punto Muerto Superior).

Si el cilindro sin bujía es el 4, miramos DONDE está el dedo rotor, y a donde apunte, lo conectamos. Luego, en sentido horario, no queda nada más que hacer que continuar el orden. Si sabemos que es 1-3-4-2, y conectamos el 4, el próximo en el sentido de giro horario será el 2, luego el 1, y luego el 3.

And now, in hour classic section "I really should have kept my hands off this subject", our Master Mr. Fakenameputwhateveryouwanthere will talk about the topic: "I messed up with the high tension wires, and it does not start, maaaaan!"

The first check is the following: To know which cylinder is at compression stroke. Nothing "pro" like removing tappet cover to check with rockers are in balance or so is needed. Nah. Our engine (XN) has a huge advantage, and its the location of spark plugs.

We remove one plug (could be ANY). Recommend the #4, (which is the one next to the water pump or radiator)

Once removed, with the car in 4th gear, we move it slowly (any direction, preferently forward) and by blocking the tube of the spark plug with the palm of the hand, we will find when it starts compressing. As on compression stoke both valves (intake, exhaust) are closed, will be a moment when pushes air outside (piston going up) and other when sucks air inside (piston going down). The moment when passes from compressing to sucking air, in the middle of that, is the TDC.

*(can be done also by turning the engine with a spanner from the crank, but moving the car is easier)

Once we get this (around the TDC), we remove distributor cap. Check out were the rotor points to... and THAT ONE will be conected to the 4. By following the rule 1-3-4-2 , the one next to the 4 (clockwise) would be 2, and then, 1, and then 3.

If we do all this check up with the 2, then, would be 2-1-3-4...

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Fantastic. Thx a million.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Is understandable? My english is not my virtue...

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Seems clear to read. Doing it might be a different story. Thx again. N

My english is not my virtue...
    we are esteemed to have you as a member, Molerpa

ed

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

We have all done that before.

Try this:

1) whip the dizzie cap off, put the car in neutral and hit the starter. Note: the direction the rotor button turns.
    2) Get No1 at TDC (No1 is usually flywheel end). ie: both valves rocking, the cylinder on compression. Have a look where the rotor button is pointing. Now clip the dizzie cap back on. Where the rotor button is pointing, hook up the lead to No1. Now in the direction the rotor spins... the leads need to be 1,3,4,2

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Default TDC and Virtue !

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    Is understandable? My english is not my virtue...
    Hi Molerpa

Is understandable ! Should we ask what is your virtue

I worked in a third world country and of course learnt a lot. They used a small piece of paper over the spark plug hole. A bit of spit to hold it and it "pops off " as the piston come up on compression. Easy peasy
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    We have all done that before.

Try this:

1) whip the dizzie cap off, put the car in neutral and hit the starter. Note: the direction the rotor button turns.
    2) Get No1 at TDC (No1 is usually flywheel end). ie: both valves rocking, the cylinder on compression. Have a look where the rotor button is pointing. Now clip the dizzie cap back on. Where the rotor button is pointing, hook up the lead to No1. Now in the direction the rotor spins... the leads need to be 1,3,4,2

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thx Shane
    nickc

Thread Information