Paint question
  • Help

Thread: Paint question

Default Paint question

What can I use to cover up a scratch that too away the paint but not scratched the metal? It will need a very thin film of filler, but am not sure what next. Do they still have those paint crayons you can use to "paint" dry at the dealers? The car in question is a Toyota, paint is a gun grey metallic.

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I'd just get a can of matching touch up paint from an autoparts store and spray some into a cup or similar, then using a fine brush build up several layers, enough to level out the scratch and then use 2000grit wet and dry once it has hardened. Good luck
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Thank you, very good idea. I think Toyota might actually have the touch up paint. The only problem might be that the scratch is too deep. It looks like the factory used a thick layer of filler or buildup primer. That means I would have to build like the great wall of china in micron paint increments. At a guess, I would say the scratch is about .5mm deep and about 3mm wide, and about 5cm long.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Thank you, very good idea. I think Toyota might actually have the touch up paint. The only problem might be that the scratch is too deep. It looks like the factory used a thick layer of filler or buildup primer. That means I would have to build like the great wall of china in micron paint increments. At a guess, I would say the scratch is about .5mm deep and about 3mm wide, and about 5cm long.
    and the problem is...?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Was just wondering if it was possible to build that much with just dabs of paint.

yes it is, it just takes time and attention, but will give the best result this side of a repaint.

I have brush painted small areas applied thickly (in layers) and sanded away the excess to glass smooth finish. The bigger problem will be colour match if the paint has been sun faded. Less of a problem on white than a strong colour. You will see soon enough.

My neighbour has used the local scratch and dent guy and was happy with the cost effective solution. Got the colour match spot on for the next few years until the new and the old start fading at differnet rates

Lucky the paint is not faded, the car being quite new. Unlucky it's am metallic colour (dark gun metal grey), not sure if brushing will give it the depth. We'll try and see.

Why not try those guys who advertise bumper/wheel repairs and the like.

You might be surprised how good a job they do for such a small fee.

Jo

I am looking into it, Jo.

Just got a quote for 200 $, and on another line I found that I can get the paint prepared by Toyota in a spray can (300ml) for 29$.

I am not that confident with my painting skills and it's quite rainy and humid here right now, but for 29$ I would give it a bash. Any advice from more experienced people is welcome.

Lucky the paint is not faded, the car being quite new. Unlucky it's am metallic colour (dark gun metal grey), not sure if brushing will give it the depth. We'll try and see.
    My limited understanding of metallic paint is it does not like being sanded.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    My limited understanding of metallic paint is it does not like being sanded.
    Do it once do it right, would seem a good slogan.

Jo

I am looking into it, Jo.

Just got a quote for 200 $, and on another line I found that I can get the paint prepared by Toyota in a spray can (300ml) for 29$.

I am not that confident with my painting skills and it's quite rainy and humid here right now, but for 29$ I would give it a bash. Any advice from more experienced people is welcome.
    Shiltzy,

I wouldn't worry about humidity for what you are doing.

Naturally you will mask around the scratch so as to contain any drips or dirty finger marks and then start filling the scratch with multiple layers of paint (stirred regularly), this may take a couple of days unless you have access to drying lights. Once the scratch is filled and paint hardened you will carefully block sand it with 2000 grit wet and dry until smooth.

You will realize that the metallic paint will have a clear coat over top so you will have to do the same process with a can of clear coat because the base coat will not be waterproof (it's not designed that way). Then final buff/polish

It may sound like a lot of stuffing around but it is a handy skill to have and with practice you can repair big stone chips the same way. Go for it..

Thank you for the encouraging.

I do have a drying light, very handy little tool.

Jo, from past threads, my guess is sanding is needed or any paint job to make the surface glass smooth. 2000 grit is always present in my toolbox for other odd jobs, and I can tell you, it can give a mirror finish on any surface, including difficult ones like aluminium or copper.

Re sanding metallic paint. Just google 'sanding metal paint'. I think you will find the advice is dont sand the paint, you mess the metal flakes, some say you can sand the clear, but not the metal flake paint.

Good luck

2000 grit is always present in my toolbox for other odd jobs,
    14" flat 2nd cut in mine. Far more useful.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Re sanding metallic paint. Just google 'sanding metal paint'. I think you will find the advice is dont sand the paint, you mess the metal flakes, some say you can sand the clear, but not the metal flake paint.

Good luck
    You'll trash the metalic pigments. If you can carefully "dust" some correctly coloured base into the scratch, with the metalic pigments spreed evenly. Then it's the clear you would use to fill the scratch and sand....

Note: i've never tried this .... If my cars get scratched, and least I can prove they have been used and enjoyed

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information