[ 404 Pick up (T5B) Brakes ] From drums to discs. (front)
  • Help
    South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Default [ 404 Pick up (T5B) Brakes ] From drums to discs. (front)

Here this vehicle (404 pick up truck) is known as "T5B", same as 403 pick up is T4B and 504 pick up is T6B.

Well, the version produced in Argentina used the same brakes than 403 pick up. Front and rear drum brakes, ventilated at the front, and with double cylinders.

I got carried away with the saying of some idiots and I managed to purchased a complete front end of a sedan 404. "piece of cake, just install the same disc behind the bearing housing, with the same three bolts, and that's it. You use the shock capsule of the sedan (as it has mounting for the calipers) with the bearing housing of the pick up (5 bolts for the wheel) and the disc fastened by the bolts behind it.

Advertisement

crap!!

The differences you'll see in height are not true. Is related to offset (due to the drum, and its tickness).
    I need to make a cross check to be absolutely sure that same bearings and everything is compatible (seems to be), by installing the bearing housing from the pick up into the sedan type.

Nothing "plug and play" as said. Lets compare.

Drum vs disc.

discs and how it is related to the bearing housing...

We can see that it is machined to be able the disc to pass and also machined seat with enough material where it is threaded to use the bolts that fix it there...

First problem. Sedan disc DOES NOT EVEN ENTER THERE!

And the second one, obviously as seen, there is nowhere to tap/thread, as there is not enough material there...
    and no plain surface to rely on....

And as I said before, even looking as different heights, is just a matter of offset, easy to solve. This is something that does not worry me.

I would think, that if there is not other "plug and play solution", would be to machine the bearing housing, to allow the disc to enter there, and machine also a steel plate with enough tichkness to replace what is "on the same piece" on the sedan bearing housing, which will be fixed by bolts from the front to the bearing housing, and it will have the thread to fix the disc into it. So, I will use the front end from sedan, that has the support for the calipers, and that could make it....

What do you think?

PS: I'll kep my policy of reforming things that are fix, and not the replacement elements (discs are, same as brakepads) . So when I have to change a disc, just ask for a disc... an not a disc, which needs to be machined this way, three extra holes, and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Machining the bearing housing (has this another name easier to write and call?) to 80mm External Diameter, to fit the 404 sedan Disc...

And designing what to do...

Last edited by Molerpa; 7th August 2013 at 05:14 AM.

It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, Molerpa,
    I have a set of 504ute disk brake hubs, 5 stud
    if interested PM me
    freight might be expensive from Aust.

Hi, Alpine,

The 504 pick up here used different bearing housing, I need to replace the shaft too, which comes attached to the spring and shock absorber housing.

I will use the present suspension items.

Thread Information