Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?

I found this video of the 206 GTi's intake and exhaust system. The centre muffler is at 2:07.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAe0qxSKVas&t=2m7s

But the centre muffler in my 206 GTi isn't an oval shape. It looks like 2 of these connected together:

So the question is, is my exhaust a popular full system, or has it been botched together before I bought my car? My car's always been a bit loud, but I've always assumed that's what a 206 GTi sounds like. I've never heard another one in real life before.

Advertisement
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 405 SRDT
    - Sports tractor, running Berlingo rear and GTi180 front suspension.
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on

I guess it would depend on your year model, but I've added some pics of an early 138 system (1999-2001 - until two oxy sensors fitted).

Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?-138exhaust01.jpg Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?-138exhaust02.jpg Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?-138cat.jpg

The last one is the cat.

These aren't from my GTi (138), but mine was the same. They have a tendency to rust at the clamp just forward of the rear muffler (near the torsion bars). Perhaps your system was replaced entirely, at some point?

The middle muffler on my 180 looked pretty much identical, however the cat was a bit longer and flatter, from memory.

The standard 138 exhaust was a decent size, but could never be considered loud in any way.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Mine is also the pre-facelift 1999 GTi. Looks like my exhaust has been replaced at some point then. It's always been a little loud since I bought it in 2010. I get a backfire pop and gurgle every time I downshift and let the revs drop while the clutch is in. I guess I'll have to look at making it quieter after I get ITBs in the future.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 405 SRDT
    - Sports tractor, running Berlingo rear and GTi180 front suspension.
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on

just jacked my car up, i have the type in the picture and not the video/Simon's pictures, and just one not two like you say yours has. i have a 2002 gti

i got a bunch of holes throughout the pipes, i've been noticing a lot of farting exhaust and pop sounds lately as well. Looks like i'll have to patch them up or get that whole back section replaced

No mean to hijack thread, but just confirming that my suspicions of my botched up exhaust job are correct.

There is not one removable area on my exhaust system at all, the whole damn thing is fk*n welded together. Whatever the job was, it wasn't in the receipt pack that was given to me by the previous owner.

God, the things you learn when purchasing second hand cars - never trust the seller no matter what. She had a whole book-worth of receipts kept since owning the car. But two things didn't mention the fact that it was in an accident (confirmed by many body work guys), and lots of the exhaust system was modified.

I don't have as much out-flow on my exhaust because as mentioned in the previous post I only have only one of those center mufflers. PQ guys said it was a generic type and nothing Peugeot specific. Which all fits in with the fact that everything has been welded.

Now if I actually want to get this fixed it will need a lot of work. It's not like it doesn't work, but who knows how much power I'm losing because there is a higher pressure buildup than usual after the cat.

Probably not much loss of power really. A blocked cat will give you Bachelor's Lament (pressure but not flow).

The 206 GTi exhaust is not known for its longevity in frequent use/small trip scenarios.

A replacement one from Peugeot was quite expensive. The OEM middle section is one piece (which includes the cat and a silencer) - from the expansion joint at the manifold to the front of the rear muffler. The rear muffler has a separate joint at the front. This joint (or just behind it) was usually the first bit to get cancer back when there was a big group of us with 206 GTis.

My car never suffered it but there were multiple victims on the 206 List. I think mr bern (as known on here) even replaced his with the Devil exhaust that was optional from Peugeot as it was cheaper than a replacement OEM one

As the cat was integrated into the front section, it will probably always be cheaper to find an aftermarket solution, so that's probably what most people have done.

That's assuming they haven't just been chasing the droning noise that so many people seem to want from their car exhaust.

Peugeot 206 GTi exhaust, does yours look like mine?-206gtiexhaustservicebox.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The 206 GTi exhaust is not known for its longevity in frequent use/small trip scenarios.
    Ahhh... that must be why Renault made a ZOE....no exhaust at all !

FWIW the exhaust on my 2001 gti138 has also failed in the mid section between the front and rear muffler. As I live near the coast I've decided to replace it with a cat-back 2" mandrel bent stainless system with front and rear straight-through mufflers. Should keep the noise level about the same (or only a touch louder) but will hopefully last a lot longer...

Thread Information