Rubber or neoprene
  • Help

Default Rubber or neoprene

My steering rack clamp bushings are shot and I dont know of anyone who sells replacements, so I'll just pad them out with some 3mm sheet black stuff.

Advertisement

I have two types of stuff, neoprene and rubber.

Both look identica (apart from the cotton in the rubber)l and both seem to have similar compression qualities, but I would not have a clue which one to use.

Doing anything on a fuego rack is a bugger of a job due to its location behind the engine and the non captive bolts, so if i can avoid having to make a silly mistake now, it will save me a whole lot of grief later.

Would anyone have an opinion or experience with these products and be able to suggest if one is superior to the other for the proposed application.

Jo

Administrator

Could you mould one from nolathane?

I think neoprene will break down with exposure to hydrocarbons. I'd buy some reinforced sheet or use a piece of reinforced hose rubber of the right diameter.

Former Frogger

Latex? Moving along ... Rack mount bushes are a regular failure on cars like XJ Jaguars and the only thing you'd think of using is a set of three urethane bushes and the crush tubes that come as a kit. That's a one-off job, but there may not be a specific Fuego fitting to help you. Vendors that come to mind in no specific order are Nolathane, SuperPro, Fulcrum Suspensions. As a temporary fix, perhaps use some steel shims.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Could you mould one from nolathane?
    Nope.

I have used a magna urethane one surgically modified to fit...but its not real cheap for an 'almost right' solution.

If I'm going to do a bodge up, I figured it might as well be a cheap bodge up.

David, The fuego is a noisy beast, and contrary to some firmly held opinions, the PAS steering transmits a hell of a lot of feedback to the driver. I cant even imagine how much harshness would be felt if I solid mounted the rack.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Nope.

I have used a magna urethane one surgically modified to fit...but its not real cheap for an 'almost right' solution.

If I'm going to do a bodge up, I figured it might as well be a cheap bodge up.

David, The fuego is a noisy beast, and contrary to some firmly held opinions, the PAS steering transmits a hell of a lot of feedback to the driver. I cant even imagine how much harshness would be felt if I solid mounted the rack.

Jo
    What if you covered both surfaces with release agent and then squeezed copius amounts of silicone or urethane on all surfaces nd then bolted it up while.still.wet so it squeezes out and fills the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    What if you covered both surfaces with release agent and then squeezed copius amounts of silicone or urethane on all surfaces nd then bolted it up while.still.wet so it squeezes out and fills the gaps.
    I did think about that, but experience doing that in the past is it takes a bloody long time to cure and then even after it is cured it is too soft to do the job.
    If NVH was not an issue, kneadable epoxy would also be a product that would work using your suggested technique.

This beast has been off the road for month now and I'm itching to pull some G's.
    There is no way I'm going to have the patience to sit around for a few days waiting for the goop to cure.
    As soon as I get my hands on the rack, it will get bolted up, driven to the alignment shop and then driven straight to the race track.

I made a decision to go with the rubber sheet and will see how that goes.
    Urethane sheet would have been the obvious choice, but I dont have any and am trying to be cheap and use what I have at hand.

To do it properly the bush would need to be cast, but when you work out how long it would take to make the mould, it becomes totally unviable economically.
    Also, It is not an area I have any skill or experience in so the failure rate of a first timer would have to be factored in.
    Even if every fuego owner in australia bought a set, it would still work out more effort than it is worth.

Jo

Possibly Ardiapane is the correct material. This is the plastic of choice for WRC mudflaps, very tough and thin. Available in 'thinness' of 2-3mm. It is actually spun into a sheet as it can't be formed any other way. Brendan.

Thread Information