Mi16 distributor conversion
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default Mi16 distributor conversion

I have just procured a rough 205 GTi and a running Mi16 engine without inlet manifold but with exhaust wedge.
    I was thinking a quick and easy Mi16 conversion, fit the throttle body manifold I got from Parry with a set of DCOEs that I have had hanging around. Might be a future hillclimb car?
    Just need a dissy conversion kit, haven't had any luck so far on the net, does anyone have any ideas on this or have one available?
    Graham

Advertisement

You mean convert it to wasted spark? Surely a man of your calibre and considerable reputation wouldn't be considering fitting a mechanical dizzy to a 16V?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

No, quick and easy, shouldn't really be spending any time on this, the rally car is due for MS3 and the stroker XU7 engine and is where the time will be spent.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    You mean convert it to wasted spark? Surely a man of your calibre and considerable reputation wouldn't be considering fitting a mechanical dizzy to a 16V?

Fellow Frogger!
    Laverton WA End of the Great Central Rd Westbound

Graham , I Am Impressed, you,ve been trying to steer me in the direction of EFI for how long? And now you,re talking about fitting DCOES????? I,m impressed, and a little gob-smacked!!

VIP Sponsor

Hi Andy,
    I should have explained things a bit more, this car will never see the road, just meant as an occasional hillclimb car and if any good later on will get a proper engine and management. For the time being just a stock J4Z with 40mm Webers only as it is what I had from my old 403.
    I still fully recommend EFI on a rally car.
    Did you work out your suspension on the 504?

Why not make it a fixed 22 deg.? It doesn't need any more than that, given you're not concerned about a fuel economy. As long as it starts you'll be sweet. I could fix my 405 at 22 deg and test if you like.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!
    Laverton WA End of the Great Central Rd Westbound

Hi Graham, No Probs, just a little humor intended. I,m Still Amassing parts.Got the Longer lower control arms And series 1 GTI struts.New 604 discs. Heavier front and rear tortion bars, and a selection of springs.Time is the enemy at the moment.Still pondering which way to go with comp ratios etc, but Stew is being most hopefull in that department. I,m waiting for another Xn6 Eng to materialize from South Australia.The One I got from Garry in The Flinders, had a great head, and many useful parts, but, had starved of oil, and the Crank is Rooted.Fortunately the Mains survived, and the block( very good on corrosion) was not damaged. I need a crank and rods, before I can proceed. Cheers for now Andy

VIP Sponsor

May be fitting EFI after all.
    I just noticed that Parrư's TBs may not allow PAS to be fitted to the 8 valve due to the alternator position, if this is the case I will fit the TBs to the 16 valve and stick with either the XU7 or most likely 205 GTi manifold on the rally car.
    Graham

Why not make it a fixed 22 deg.? It doesn't need any more than that, given you're not concerned about a fuel economy. As long as it starts you'll be sweet. I could fix my 405 at 22 deg and test if you like.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 24th July 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Fit PAS to the exhaust cam.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

You will need to trim the engine mount block as well
    Adrian Wuillemin

VIP Sponsor

Talking about the 8 valve, don't reckon the throttle bodies will clear the alternator but could be wrong.
    Yes, should be no problem with the 16 valve and really is probably better this way, rally car will be better to drive on the road without ITBs.
    Graham

Fit PAS to the exhaust cam.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    You will need to trim the engine mount block as well
    8 or 16 valve?

Fellow Frogger!

16 valve
    Adrian Wuillemin

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    rally car will be better to drive on the road without ITBs.
    Not sure where that's coming from. Any increase in volumetric efficiency has to be a bonus to torque, regardless of the application.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Not for performance but ease of driving and smoothness, all out performance isn't the only thing to consider for road events.
    If the TBs are going onto the J4Z would you think a Cometic head gasket of ? thickness and your stage 1 cam plus the TBs a good set up?
    Aftermarket injection.

Graham

Not sure where that's coming from. Any increase in volumetric efficiency has to be a bonus to torque, regardless of the application.

A well mapped set of TB's is better across the entire rev range over the standard manifold. Any increase in CR is good for an XU9J4Z and the cam just loves more compression.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

So, are the Cometic gaskets available in .5 mm and where can you buy them?
    I have found a source for the 51 thou ones in the US.

A well mapped set of TB's is better across the entire rev range over the standard manifold. Any increase in CR is good for an XU9J4Z and the cam just loves more compression.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 25th July 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Thinnest is 0.7mm, from Rocket I think. I have one here, which belongs to another forum member. He doesn't need it anymore and would probably sell it.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Yes, would be interested.
    Do I need to get an inlet cam to you for exchange?

I still have nearly 2 heads worth of valves and lifters if anyone is after them.

Thinnest is 0.7mm, from Rocket I think. I have one here, which belongs to another forum member. He doesn't need it anymore and would probably sell it.

I have a spare cam.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information