405 electrics!
  • Help

Thread: 405 electrics!

VIP Sponsor

Default 405 electrics!

Now that I have a slightly later model road car, 405 series 2 SRi , I seem to be getting the problems other people have talked about with their later models.

The central locking has a mind of its own, even locked the doors by itself today!

The main problem at the moment though, is that at the same time the alternator light came on, no problem it is charging fine, the windows work only some of the time and the clock light has gone out.
    Also, the alternator light gets brighter if you put your foot on the brakes, no difference with headlights on and off though.
    Before I start chasing this fault I would like to know if anyone else has had these problems?
    Other than that the car is great, excellent good ride quality.

Advertisement

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post

The central locking has a mind of its own, even locked the doors by itself today!

Graham
    This happened to my son. He was traveling from Sydney to Newcastle and needed to stop for a whiz. So he got out, left the engine running, half way through the whiz, guess what? The car locked itself. What would you do? A passing motorist stopped to lend a hand. Luckily he was a golfer. So the rear LH passenger window got the 7 iron. It was Series 1 car. I still drive it! Your car must have a dodgy door locking solenoid. I'd start disconnecting them one at a time.

If the alternator light is on then you have charging problems. The light is the only thing between the alternator field circuit and battery +ve. It may just need new brushes etc. but it's definitely not working at full capacity.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Peter, the battery is sitting on 14.3 volts with the lights on, 12.7 with the engine not running but as you say something must be wrong.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    This happened to my son. He was traveling from Sydney to Newcastle and needed to stop for a whiz. So he got out, left the engine running, half way through the whiz, guess what? The car locked itself. What would you do? A passing motorist stopped to lend a hand. Luckily he was a golfer. So the rear LH passenger window got the 7 iron. It was Series 1 car. I still drive it! Your car must have a dodgy door locking solenoid. I'd start disconnecting them one at a time.

If the alternator light is on then you have charging problems. The light is the only thing between the alternator field circuit and battery +ve. It may just need new brushes etc. but it's definitely not working at full capacity.

1000+ Posts

Isnt there a terminal block on the left hand inner guard ,the positive cable to the inside of the car splits off here i would be looking for a bad connection here or at the battery terminal ,also check the earthing to the engine and body ,sounds like the alternator light is earthing back through the brake light globes ,[ever lost the earth on your trailer conectoin, with some real screwy things happening ]bad earth somewhere or wires worn through and shorting on each other do some poking around for bad connections pugs

VIP Sponsor

Had another look, yes, alternator is working perfectly.
    Sometimes the warning light stays off after starting then comes on as revs increase and at the same time the alternator starts to work, due to residue magnetism, seems the exciter connection is faulty.
    Other faults still there, need to chase up a wiring diagram.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Had another look, yes, alternator is working perfectly.
    Sometimes the warning light stays off after starting then comes on as revs increase and at the same time the alternator starts to work, due to residue magnetism, seems the exciter connection is faulty.
    Other faults still there, need to chase up a wiring diagram.
    Graham
    You are describing a classic intermittent field diode fault. If you have a spare "rectifier pack" I'd fit it.

VIP Sponsor

Don't know about intermittent everything steady except for the window winders which work on and off.
    Looks like I should change the alternator over and see what I'm left with then.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    You are describing a classic intermittent field diode fault. If you have a spare "rectifier pack" I'd fit it.

Make sure that you have a good earth between the battery, the engine and the body. We placed extra earths at lots of places on the 1993 model 405 SRi that we had. Also don't forget to remove the rear lefthand tail light and clean up all the earths. I know, but it always helped.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

VIP Sponsor

May get a chance to take a look tomorrow morning.
    Something else I've noticed is that the window winders never work when I have my foot on the brake!
    Usually but not always OK with foot off brake.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    Make sure that you have a good earth between the battery, the engine and the body. We placed extra earths at lots of places on the 1993 model 405 SRi that we had. Also don't forget to remove the rear lefthand tail light and clean up all the earths. I know, but it always helped.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    I've always ran my own earth's in pretty much every 405 I've owned. Makes the lights much brighter!

There's also an earth behind the kick panels next to where your feet would be. One of mine came lose and took ages to find Why the car was doing so many weird things!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

VIP Sponsor

Finally found 5 minutes to take a look at it and it turned to be just a blown stop light fuse!
    Still hassles with the central locking though, winding down the window the other day activated the central locking.
    Quite likely still some earthing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    This happened to my son. He was traveling from Sydney to Newcastle and needed to stop for a whiz. So he got out, left the engine running, half way through the whiz, guess what? The car locked itself. What would you do?
    Finish the whiz.

Jo

Thread Information