Renault Brake Manufacturers? What's best?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Renault Brake Manufacturers? What's best?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Brake Manufacturers? What's best?

To be specific is there much difference between Lockheed and Girling brakes from the late 1970's?

I have couple of Renaults from that time.

I bought a damaged Renault with Lockheed brakes and when I drove it home the brakes were concerning!
    The pedal height was fine, but it was like tramping on a dead fish for all the slowing it did! I can't help feeling the poor braking performance was partly to blame for the bingle and the consequent damage. The handbrake will easily lock the rear drums. So my concern is directed at the front Lockheed disc arrangement.

The same make/model with Girling brakes has always stopped well.

Now I know that this summation is less than peer reviewed science!

BUT are there any inherent strengths or weaknesses in either brand? I ask because I have the option of using either after refurbishing the front calipers.

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. If you require any more info, please ask.

David

Advertisement

Is there any brake pad lining thickness left?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

If the pedal height was fine (or high) did the car with no brakes have a frozen piston perhaps?
    Exfrogger likes this.
    KB

I don't think there would be a difference in braking force. The manufacturer will specify the piston diameters on the components to the designed spec and that will keep the ratio the same. It could be rust that was impregnated into the pads and it causes a layer like glazing. That will require huge pedal pressures.

It has happened to me on my Caravelle and only came back after I had the pads on my belt sander to remove that layer. By then the rotors were clean in any case.

Regards.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

If it isn't the pads, I'd also consider the possibility of an internal hose failure. Hoses can fail internally and turn the hose into a one-way valve, either locking a wheel dramatically (yes, I've been there!) or giving essentially no braking at one wheel regardless of how hard you push (I've been there too!).

Calliper pistons can seize in the alloy callipers too, as pointed out. This can significantly increase pedal pressure for a given amount of braking and the wheel(s) can drag if jacked up and turned by hand. A slight drag is OK I think, but if it is hard to turn suspect piston or internal hose failure.

I doubt there's any difference between Lockheed and Girling if they are clean and have the pistons free to move.

Old car, poor brakes? Fix them completely. Personally I'd replace all the rubber components while anything is apart. So start with front calliper seals and hoses - wise precaution even if they are found to be OK. You at least KNOW then.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    To be specific is there much difference between Lockheed and Girling brakes from the late 1970's?

I have couple of Renaults from that time.

I bought a damaged Renault with Lockheed brakes and when I drove it home the brakes were concerning!
    The pedal height was fine, but it was like tramping on a dead fish for all the slowing it did! I can't help feeling the poor braking performance was partly to blame for the bingle and the consequent damage. The handbrake will easily lock the rear drums. So my concern is directed at the front Lockheed disc arrangement.

The same make/model with Girling brakes has always stopped well.

Now I know that this summation is less than peer reviewed science!

BUT are there any inherent strengths or weaknesses in either brand? I ask because I have the option of using either after refurbishing the front calipers.

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. If you require any more info, please ask.

David
    Last edited by JohnW; 7th July 2013 at 09:42 AM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information