205 gti: various noises coming from driver side front wheel
  • Help

Icon5 205 gti: various noises coming from driver side front wheel

For a while now, there has been a knocking noise occurring when I turn left - I assumed this was the right CV joint wearing out. However I briefly looked at the cv boot yesterday and it seems fine (no cracks, holes etc).
    Secondly, I was driving at about 80 kph and the same wheel started making a rubbing/grinding noise. As I take my foot off the pedal it seems to stay constant, and once I depress the pedal it goes away occasionally, depending on the road. Every time I drive and get to a higher speed this noise occurs, and it is relative to the rotation of the wheel. However on short drives in low speeds it doesn't usually happen.
    Finally, the rubber on the top of the linkage rod to the stabil. bar has split (will upload a photo).

Are any of these noises related to the wheel bearing, CV joint, or the linkage rod?
    And should I be driving it with these noises?
    Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Max

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGTI View Post
    For a while now, there has been a knocking noise occurring when I turn left - I assumed this was the right CV joint wearing out. However I briefly looked at the cv boot yesterday and it seems fine (no cracks, holes etc).
    Secondly, I was driving at about 80 kph and the same wheel started making a rubbing/grinding noise. As I take my foot off the pedal it seems to stay constant, and once I depress the pedal it goes away occasionally, depending on the road. Every time I drive and get to a higher speed this noise occurs, and it is relative to the rotation of the wheel. However on short drives in low speeds it doesn't usually happen.
    Finally, the rubber on the top of the linkage rod to the stabil. bar has split (will upload a photo).

Are any of these noises related to the wheel bearing, CV joint, or the linkage rod?
    And should I be driving it with these noises?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Cheers, Max
    Hi Max,
    "Should I be driving it with these nioses ?" NO. Not untill you determine what is failing/wearing out etc. Perhaps the wheel is falling off !!
    There are a few possibilities and some perhapses, Get a mechanic to check it out before it gets more expensive.
    Some obvious suggestions. Jack up the front and try it all for wear and looseness. Wheel bearing. Loose shaft nut. loose brake rotor. Loose wheel. stone in the pads. Try it on full lock each way. Take the wheels off and look at the hub and brakes. Check everything for free rotation.

The worn roll bar rod would not normally cause a rubbing/grinding noise. Needs replacing though.
    Jaahn

Get the suspect wheel up in the air and start pulling on it in all directions to see what is wobbling there. Play in the bearings wouldn't surprise me, but can be anything. Use a prybar and poke about until you find it. The driveshaft itself doesn't need to have a split boot to wear out. Turn the wheels on full lock with the suspect wheel in the air and spin it listening for weird noises and feeling if it turns smoothly without any "sticky" points.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Cheers for the feedback guys.
    I jacked up the wheel and rotated it back and forth on full lock each way and it makes the same clicking/knocking noise. I guess this confirms the drive shaft needs to be rebuilt? Should I be able to rotate the wheel fully? Because it will only let me rotate an inch or so each way...
    Can't seem to find anything which is causing the other strange noises

1000+ Posts

Default Hi

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGTI View Post
    Cheers for the feedback guys.
    I jacked up the wheel and rotated it back and forth on full lock each way and it makes the same clicking/knocking noise. I guess this confirms the drive shaft needs to be rebuilt? Should I be able to rotate the wheel fully? Because it will only let me rotate an inch or so each way...
    Can't seem to find anything which is causing the other strange noises
    Hi
    The wheel/axle should rotate fully at full lock just the same as straight ahead. If it does not then perhaps one of the balls or tracks in the joint has "chipped" and the chip is jamming in the works as it tries to go around. It looks like that in the video. Not uncommon as the joint has started to physically fail, but it will not last long like that.

good luck Jaahn

Or perhaps you left it in gear.

Pull the handbrake like you want to rip it off, choke the rear wheels and pull it out of gear, and only then try to spin the wheel jacked up. Should spin quite easily.

Clicky sounds might indicate a driveshaft gone or going.

Grab top of wheel and bottom and try to rock it in and out. If it does, check balljoints and wheelbearing.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yep I definitely left it in gear...ill try again tomorrow with those suggestions
    1990 205 GTI

Thread Information