404 universal failure
  • Help

Default 404 universal failure

Curses. It made a couple of noises after I gave the old 404 a big burst of boost and revs, then a shake started in the middle if the car. I drove 10kms home , and now,

Advertisement

I find this.404 universal failure-sam_0978.jpg404 universal failure-sam_0981.jpg

It's only 40 years old too!
    I think a later joint yoke might help. Amazing, that thing has taken Morgan Park sideways under power in 3rd, on a few corners, for an afternoon too! Tee Hee!
    Last edited by stew; 8th June 2013 at 06:44 PM.

My 505 Estate lasted almost 400,000 miles before the joint wore out.
    It didn't snap however, like yours. The bearings and rollers wore out.
    Cost me $200 for a new one as I recall. That was some years ago.
    Tried all the transmission places but none had seen joint with a hole through the centre of the cross piece.

Yes, that joint was something I put together 8000 miles ago, out of a few different ones so how many real miles the assembly has done is in the few 100 000's. The poor thing is driving a limited slip as well as about 250 hp , so if it's taken that much bashing I reckon an upgrade with later yokes and the uni below will be a pretty safe bet!
    The spring in the diff end of the tailshaft, pushes the joint into the splines. I've done this quite few times as the new joints I've purchased have been out of square and had a very slight little wobble, at times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 404 universal failure-sam_0986.jpg  

Thread Information