Can a programmable ECU (such as a Sprint 500) do this?
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Can a programmable ECU (such as a Sprint 500) do this?

I'm not a big fan of using a gauge to monitor oil pressure when driving hard so I was going to rig up a bright LED instead.

I was going to purchase a 20psi low oil pressure switch and (to ensure it doesn't come on at idle) I was going to hook it up to an rpm switch so it only comes into play above say 2000rpm (normal pressure switch below that).

The question I have is, can the ecu be configured to see oil pressure and activate an output based on pressure and engine speed (ie 10psi at 1000, 15psi @1500, 20psi@2000 etc) or should I just stick to a stand alone system.

Advertisement

If it can, I'll wait till I get an ECU but otherwise I'll do it old school.

I've got a sprint 500 and as far as I can see you can use one of the inputs for an oil pressure guage/warning system but not linked to rpm.
    Id be interested to know what switches you're using in the setup you describe though? And can you run this and keep the dash oil pressure guage working too?
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Administrator

I was going to use one of these adjustable rpm switches and run the output through a 20psi or adjustable oil pressure switch. For me its much better solution than relying on a low pressure light that only comes on when the damage is probably done...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I'm not a big fan of using a gauge to monitor oil pressure when driving hard so I was going to rig up a bright LED instead.

I was going to purchase a 20psi low oil pressure switch and (to ensure it doesn't come on at idle) I was going to hook it up to an rpm switch so it only comes into play above say 2000rpm (normal pressure switch below that).
    at 850 rpm on a hot motor running 15-40 (I think) full synthetic I'll get 17psi.

Have you considered one of those moroso oil accumulators???
    Peter T wrote a thread about his install and seemed happy with its function.

Jo

A 500 can't but a 1000 can. I do exactly that on my 205. I have a light come on if RPM is >2000rpm and oil <40psi. You can also go a step further and have a rev limit if oil pressure is low, etc.

Old school way is to buy a falling pressure switch from Motorsport Connections. For example, AU3242 closes 30psi/opens 32psi.

Download the 1000 software from the Haltech site and have a look.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Administrator

That switch sounds like a good pressure. I could only find a 20psi switch. Thanks for that.

Banned

you could probably use a normal oil pressure sender unit, and a variable voltage switch to choose your own pressure level, if desired.

Universal Voltage Switch - Jaycar Electronics

Yes, but you'd need to add a pull up resistor, or just buy a 3 wire pressure sender off ebay.

I also use the pressure switch with a 5mm high intensity LED. It works very well.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    A 500 can't but a 1000 can. I do exactly that on my 205. I have a light come on if RPM is >2000rpm and oil <40psi. You can also go a step further and have a rev limit if oil pressure is low, etc.
    Just another reason I should have held out and got the 1000 ha ha....
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information