Why fan switches die
  • Help

Default Why fan switches die

I have experienced recently a number of failures of the fan thermoswitch even though I had it replaced with the correct new part every time. When I got bored of replacing the buggers I just hardwired the contacts on so the fans run all the time when the engine is on (this is a 205GTI we're talking about).

Advertisement

And then one day, I grabbed one of the failed switches and opened it on a lathe carefully turning off the bronze lip that holds the plastic end on the sensor head. Inside, I found signs of water ingress and the contacts were corroded. I looked at everything and found there is a rubber seal running at the base of the plastic bit, under the lip. This seal seems to have failed and allowed water to creep inside, invade the switch and do its nefarious business on the contacts. Everything else was fine. Stupid crappy sender units and their retarted seals and lips. Made in Spain, probably during the siesta. I suppose next time I'll buy one of these I'll run a bead of RTV silicone around the lip just to make sure.

Anyway, hope this might help someone.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 18th May 2013 at 04:30 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

the girl that i love will be made in spain, and why not?

Tadpole

Thanks for the tip schlitzaugen.
    I like the small but handy investigatory insight you shared with us.
    In fact also to all those who regularly share their experience n knowledge.

Where is this fan switch located - at the fan housing or near the engine thermostat?
    I've yet to invest in a workshop manual.

Just on the RH side of the radiator about halfway down. Has three wires going to it.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    the girl that i love will be made in spain, and why not?

As long as there's nothing wrong with her lips or seals, I'd say go for it.

Thread Information