Kugelfischer run by a chain?
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Kugelfischer run by a chain?

It appears that the Sedis drive belt for the K Injector Pump is almost totally unobtanium.
    Admittedly I haven't found whether the timing belt shop in UK that Robmac told me about has the right thing.
    But I'm inclined to think if it was that simple someone would have already told me the number of the belt.

I have a going belt but if it breaks I would like some way to get it going again.
    Surely there's a chain and sprocket option here?

Advertisement

Why not a pair of timing pulleys of know pitch and belt type? A pair of "XL" 3/8 wide pulleys?

If you are going the replacement patch whether it's chain or substitute belt the labour is same.

Have you considered the lubrication requirement of chain drive?

Can't the L'aventure Peugeot help?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i thought they did a run of them

the belts are pretty hardy and do last very well but yes always good to have a spare
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I've always thought the Sedis belt would be like the cockroach come the end of the world? For a rubber belt running in a most aggressive environment oil etc you don't hear much about failures?
    Cam belt manufacturers could take a leaf out of their book !!

i have never heard of one fail

i always used to keep a spare just in case but never needed it when myself and my father were running TI's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

They do fail. They can break and drop onto the timing chain. Then that breaks the snout off the cam which leads to bent valves. Not often mind, but it does happen. My friend stuffed my old care like that. At idle.
    I have heard, not seen, of a chain and sprocket. Why not, I say!
    I thought the Peugeot Museum did some new ones?

i'd stick to running a belt

why add extra weight to the little pumps bearings

that pump is going at engine speed and the extra centrifugal weight of a chain may do damage being the reason the designers opted for a belt to begin with
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

I've had a reply from the L'adventure Peugeot Museum and although out of stock they are going to notify me when they get the new batch.
    Le tarif est de 196.36 € TTC.

Having finally got to my car today I almost managed the swapover of pumps so got to see and handle the Sedis belt for the first time.
    As I don't have a spare I'll refit it but I am not inspired by the condition. It has burred along the edges and had something make tracks along the inside for a few inches.
    But I can see it is a tough little belt and that it is rare to break one. So I hope it will last till the Museum gets them and then I will definitely fit a new one.
    I can see a chain would put more pressure on the pump bearings and wonder if that increase would be substantial. The pulley already fitted is a pretty chunky thing and I reckon a twin sprocket plus timing chain would likely weigh less overall. There would also be no need of a tensioner if it was made to the right specs but when it wears a bit the slop could be a problem. Not at all sure about the lubrication. I had the impression that oil splashed round in that timing chest at more than enough velocity to keep another little chain as happy as the original timing chain.

In the rather distant past I have found a place where they could make a belt to your specs (perhaps the old one could be a model), in SA. There might be similar places elsewhere. For a Kugelfischer system you could also try BMW forums perhaps in the US.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information