Dizzy extension
  • Help

Thread: Dizzy extension

1000+ Posts

Default Dizzy extension

I bought a set of carbs and a twin carb manifold the other day, but I then found when it arrived that the dizzy doesn't fit in between the branches of the manifold. It must have been used with a long dizzy stalk. This is on a 203/403 engine.
    I have explained how unhappy I am about this to the seller and he has decently agreed to accept it returned..
    But before I post it, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have such an extension or know an easy way to do one?
    It would need to be right out of the original mount, probably sitting with the original base just above the top .

I wonder whether these extensions were ever much good? Did they cause a lot of trouble back in the day? I don't want to introduce a dodgy source of unreliability for such a silly and probably expensive reason.

Advertisement

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    I bought a set of carbs and a twin carb manifold the other day, but I then found when it arrived that the dizzy doesn't fit in between the branches of the manifold. It must have been used with a long dizzy stalk. This is on a 203/403 engine.
    I have explained how unhappy I am about this to the seller and he has decently agreed to accept it returned..
    But before I post it, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have such an extension or know an easy way to do one?
    It would need to be right out of the original mount, probably sitting with the original base just above the top .

I wonder whether these extensions were ever much good? Did they cause a lot of trouble back in the day? I don't want to introduce a dodgy source of unreliability for such a silly and probably expensive reason.

What do you think?
    Peugeot make a genuine long series Ducellier distrubor which fit the Agentine four branch manifolds. These are rare as rocking horse poo.

I have made distributor extensions from:

An oil pump shaft/ dissy drive dog (grind off the cam drive gear teeth)
    A sacrificial distributor
    A piece of aluminium tube ( forget the exact diameter)
    or you could use one of the 404/504 aluminium dissy clamp/inserts

You need to turn the bottom off the dissy shaft where the balance weights sit. The reduce the dissy shaft to about 6mm diameter.

Then cut the oil pump shaft and bore it to be an interference fit into the stepped dissy shaft.

Then bore the aluminium tube to suit a dissy OD, turn off the sacrificial dissy bell, leaving a step, which is an interference fit into aluminium tube.

Assemble the whole up up with plenty of loctite and a small press.

Slot the tube with a hacksaw and use a worm drive clamp to hold the dissy in place.

It's a days work with a good tool room lathe.

1000+ Posts

I was thinking along those lines Rob.
    I had got as far a thinking an old oil pump could be cobbled up some way and that an extension aluminium tube to wack into the block would also be required.
    I had considered it too hard so had rejected the whole scenario.
    I'll take it to the redex showoff on Monday and flash it around for anyone who may be that keen.
    Moi, I like the easy life.[Kugelfischer and nice easy stuff like that.].
    O and plus, I don't own a metal lathe.

Fellow Frogger!

The external housing (aluminium tube) to move the dizzy up is available on eBay from Argentina (on Ebay.com I think, if not UK).

1000+ Posts

Check out matra jet 6 restoration looks like renault used an extension on the gordini motor ,theres a pic there in the last post ,dont know about compatibility or availability pugs

Fellow Frogger!
    Laverton WA End of the Great Central Rd Westbound

Hi Luthier, I have a solution for you. I,m in the process of building a hot motor for a 504 rally car project, a XN motor, using a XN6 head, with twin Dellortos( I,ve decided to stick to carbs, for now, dispite many peoples insistence that Fuel inject is the way to go!) Anyway, I have the same problem, I need a long shaft dizzy? I spent a lot of time searching, and just in the last few weeks, I found one!!!!!!!! A contact in Germany sourced a new genuine Ducellier, from a XN1A motor. I organized for him to send it direct to 123 Distributors in Holland.They have been most helpful, and now they have a Dizzy to copy, they are manufacturing a special long shaft Dizzy for me. I have opted for the type I can custom programme the advance curves, but it is also possible to get one that has a number of common Peugeot curves already built in.It,s just a matter of selecting the curve applicable to yr motor, then away you go!!! Th 123 Tune -4-a-v-d costs 296.69 then 200 to make custom long shaft mod, then 74.38 for recommended coil, 38.50 postage. All prices in Euros The non programmable model is slightly cheaper! Dizzy is being made as we speak, and Heidi said they would be more than willing to fabricate more, if required. Try info@leenapk.nl or www.leenapk.nl ask for Heidi, and say Andy Recommended. Cheers for now Andy. PS, I,m heading up the Canning stock Route for 3 weeks departing Sat, so will not be contactable, after Sunday night.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry, I meant to say not contactable after Friday Night!

Andy,
    It's probably too late now but the right angled dist cap listed would be ideal to avoid that forest of plug wires soaring up from the dist.
    Under bonnet clearance can be a problem with the 504, air cleaners also when multiple carbs are fitted. But you knew this.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

would it not be easier to go distributorless ???
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Attaching a photo of a long distributor. I'd been on the lookout for one for years and ended up buying an Agentinian engine with a long branch manifold. This distributor is made by Magneti Marelli.

Norm

Dizzy extension-distributor1.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Have a good trip up there Andy. This time I wont be on the CSR to see you as per 2010 [unfortunately]. Not in the 505 again? Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Default Great minds think alike, Fools seldome differ

Thanks Wlderbeast, already thought of that, plus have also organised a spare angled cap, from the same supplier.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Niel, unfortunately Parked up the Stock routed Peugeot, 2 weeks ago. On a trip to Perth smacked a huge Roo, and took out Rh headlight,But Supprisingly little damage, rippled the Pannel( was doing 130kph at the time!) Any lesser car, the airbag would have gone off! 2 Hours later, got a fox, then on the way home 2 more small roos. So got he Hattrick! She made it home in good form, But you have to know when to throw the towel in! The Eng and other parts are still good, and will be used for spares. Taking my old 47 series Troopy this time, and the South African Hitchhiker, is joining me again. We,re doing food drops on the way up, then I leave her at Billiluna, and she walks back down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Don,t Ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Should be Fun. ? Cheers for now Andy

1000+ Posts

Thanks Andy,
    I opted to return the manifold that required the extended dizzy and continue on the original idea of copying the manifold that fits up between dizzy and head.

Hope you have a great trip.. The hitchhiker sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 203 View Post
    Attaching a photo of a long distributor. I'd been on the lookout for one for years and ended up buying an Agentinian engine with a long branch manifold. This distributor is made by Magneti Marelli.

Norm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distributor1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	43732
    WILL THE BONNET STILL CLOSE?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Administrator

They do still sell the extensions in Argentina.

Here is a link to one.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...eugeot-504-_JM

I think they also have the tall distributor you want (an electronic one)

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...-505-gamma-_JM

You may be able to get one sent?

Thread Information