205 gti series 2 driveshafts
  • Help

Default 205 gti series 2 driveshafts

So, if I buy some 306 drive shafts and knock off the outer CV's they will fit my 205 shafts and match the spline on the hub, correct?

Or, is there somewhere that 306 CV's are available to buy new on their own?

My last refurbed set has lasted 3 years and are clicking like crazy.

Advertisement

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

No, sorry.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Getting driveshafts reco'd isn't hugely expensive (about $200 last check). Series 1 and 2 205GTI shafts are interchangeable and I even ran a pair of Si shafts because I had them lying round I think. Usually, if you post up your after a set of axles/CVs someone will have something floating around they can sling you to get you by.

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

VIP Sponsor

EAI have got new SKF shafts for a bit over $300.
    Si shafts are exactly the same as early GTi shafts.

You can't knock the CV joints off the early shafts, all one unit.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Getting driveshafts reco'd isn't hugely expensive (about $200 last check). Series 1 and 2 205GTI shafts are interchangeable and I even ran a pair of Si shafts because I had them lying round I think. Usually, if you post up your after a set of axles/CVs someone will have something floating around they can sling you to get you by.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

EAI have got new SKF shafts for a bit over $300.
    Si shafts are exactly the same as early GTi shafts.

You can't knock the CV joints off the early shafts, all one unit.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post

Chris

I contacted EAI and they were unable to supply me with SKF drive shafts for my car. So there's 2 types of drive shaft, S1/2 and then the later type that I would need for a late '93 Gti?

It has the later model hubs to allow for the gti 180 brakes so I was under the impression that the earlier shafts would not fit the spline at the hub end, is this correct?

I can get them refurbed again but then I'll probably be facing this problem again sooner than later.
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

Get a set of later hubs and run the later shafts. Don't bother with the 180 brakes, they are too heavy. Just get a shit hot set of pads if your overheating your current setup.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Get a set of later hubs and run the later shafts. Don't bother with the 180 brakes, they are too heavy. Just get a shit hot set of pads if your overheating your current setup.

Cam
    Don't you mean "Shit Cold"?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I have the later hubs but can't find the later shafts available new anywhere. The 180 brakes have been on there for 4 years so they can stay for now.

I'm building another car up to standard specs so I'll be needing drive shafts for that eventually too.

As far as I can gather, the early shafts are readily available and the later shafts are hard to come by.
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

A decent set of series 1 or 2 will be fine if shown some sort of mechanical sympathy. Having said that, series 3 hubs and drive shafts are a good thing. Remember changing to bigger front brakes will need an upgraded master cylinder too. Series 3 brakes are pretty good with some decent pads and fresh fluids so, and its just my opinion, save the brake upgrade for when or if you decide to power up. Having said that, I'm in the middle of putting a very hot 8V into my 205 and I'm going to start with series 3 brakes, hubs and drive shafts.

The biggest weakness of the drive line is the diff. Either ways, opinions aside.... install what you and budget dictates.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigrr View Post
    don't you mean "shit cold"?

VIP Sponsor

Did you ask for series 3 shafts then? If you have series 3 shafts in your series 2 then yes, you can fit the 306 CV joints as suggested.
    I got quoted for the series 1/2 shafts on Wednesday, unless he misunderstood me.
    If you want to use earlier shafts with either big or later brakes you need to use Si hubs, I have a spare set or two if anyone wants to do this.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by craigos View Post
    I contacted EAI and they were unable to supply me with SKF drive shafts for my car. So there's 2 types of drive shaft, S1/2 and then the later type that I would need for a late '93 Gti?

It has the later model hubs to allow for the gti 180 brakes so I was under the impression that the earlier shafts would not fit the spline at the hub end, is this correct?

I can get them refurbed again but then I'll probably be facing this problem again sooner than later.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 27th April 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Yea I had the 180 brakes for a while. Where good but when I went back to smaller ones the car felt more nimble, steering feel was better and rode nicer. I know what you mean though. Once somethings on there is easier to leave it!

Im not sure if Peugeot would have any left in stock in this country. Otherwise, you can spend extra and get some Peugeot sport items? Its almost worth getting them sent over form the UK and refreshing them here or rebuilding them with other parts. I have a good set of 309 shafts which I dont use but want to keep for when the current ones bite the dust. WHat about NZ? Freight might be cheaper and surely there would be a couple in wrecking yards over there?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Keep the 309 shafts and get some 309 control arms...... isn't that a wider track ????

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Did you ask for series 3 shafts then? If you have series 3 shafts in your series 2 then yes, you can fit the 306 CV joints as suggested.
    I got quoted for the series 1/2 shafts on Wednesday, unless he misunderstood me.
    If you want to use earlier shafts with either big or later brakes you need to use Si hubs, I have a spare set or two if anyone wants to do this.
    Graham

Yeah, everywhere I have asked for Series 3 shafts have been unable to supply me. My guy at the Peugeot counter says it's due to the limited number of the JAZ Gti's that were sold.

If I can source new 306 parts to refurb my existing shafts then that sounds like a good option. I might start collecting them so I can have a spare set around to swap out when needed.

If anyone has some sitting around that they don't need I'd be pretty keen to have them waiting in Adelaide when I get back in a week or so. Paypal ready!

Failing that I'll start hitting up the lads in the UK.

Cheers.
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Yea I had the 180 brakes for a while. Where good but when I went back to smaller ones the car felt more nimble, steering feel was better and rode nicer. I know what you mean though. Once somethings on there is easier to leave it!

Im not sure if Peugeot would have any left in stock in this country. Otherwise, you can spend extra and get some Peugeot sport items? Its almost worth getting them sent over form the UK and refreshing them here or rebuilding them with other parts. I have a good set of 309 shafts which I dont use but want to keep for when the current ones bite the dust. WHat about NZ? Freight might be cheaper and surely there would be a couple in wrecking yards over there?

Cam
    I think this is how I ended up with two Gti's. I got sick of the debate over standard vs modified so this way I can have the best of both worlds...if they are ever both running at the same time.
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

VIP Sponsor

For S3 Just fit the 306 CVs as you originally asked.
    Pick them up from the do it yourself wreckers for next to nothing.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by craigos View Post
    Yeah, everywhere I have asked for Series 3 shafts have been unable to supply me. My guy at the Peugeot counter says it's due to the limited number of the JAZ Gti's that were sold.

If I can source new 306 parts to refurb my existing shafts then that sounds like a good option. I might start collecting them so I can have a spare set around to swap out when needed.

If anyone has some sitting around that they don't need I'd be pretty keen to have them waiting in Adelaide when I get back in a week or so. Paypal ready!

Failing that I'll start hitting up the lads in the UK.

Cheers.

Thanks Graham.
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

VIP Sponsor

These look to be a good deal for Series 1/2 and Sis.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genui...item23298df961

Only $162 for LHS which is the one that always seems to give trouble, never had to replace a RHS one.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    These look to be a good deal for Series 1/2 and Sis.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genui...item23298df961

Only $162 for LHS which is the one that always seems to give trouble, never had to replace a RHS one.

Graham
    Thanks, but it's now listed at $192.00.

VIP Sponsor

That's the RHS have a look at the LHS, both are listed.
    Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Thanks, but it's now listed at $192.00.

Thanks, that's what I get for rushing, my left one is shot as you indicated

Thread Information