Question - smearing windscreen wiper on 306
  • Help
    IWS

Default Question - smearing windscreen wiper on 306

I have a perplexing problem with the windscreen wipers on my daughter’s 306.

No matter what we try – replacing the wiper blades, adjusting the angle of the wiper arm, cleaning the windscreen – the wipers smear and do not wipe properly on the driver’s side.

Anybody experienced this and, more importantly, found a solution?

Ian.

Advertisement

Yeah. Happened on our 306 also. Tried a couple of different wiper blades - but non were any better.

I eventually figured out that there was a 'stop' built into the wiper arm base. All of the new blades were obviously just a fraction thinner than the originals. The arm was bumping against the stop just as the blade was touching the glass. You could slip a piece of paper between the blade and the glass.

Fix was simple. Bend the wiper arm a little so that it put a bit more pressure on the blade.

Let us know if this works for you.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

IWS

That explanation makes sense. Shall try that out tomorrow and see if it works.

Ian.

I always use Rain-X. Have for 15 years. Even if a car has terrible wiper blades, the water runs off the screen nicely.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I always use Rain-X. Have for 15 years. Even if a car has terrible wiper blades, the water runs off the screen nicely.
    Might have to try that. Bending the wiper arm did not do the trick :-(

It's good stuff. I clean the windscreen well, then put on a disposable rubber glove. Using a piece of cloth only about 2 cm square, I apply the Rain X. It is dissolved in alcohol so it also cleans as you apply it. Then buff off the bloom with a clean rag.

Sometimes I put it on ALL windows, plus external rear vision mirrors. I can only say one bad thing about it....There have been odd times when after rain, streaks have appeared down my rear screen, and I think it might be something to do with the old rubber somehow reacting with Rain X. They're quite difficult to clean off, but can be .
    It works well for more than a month after application, then decreasing residual effect thereafter.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

get some proper rubber, not plastic, replacement metal backed blades and give the screen a good wash with undiluted water additive.

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Are L & R wiper blades the same length? If so, have you tried swapping the heads/blade holders (not sure of proper term)? You said you had replaced blades, but haven't mentioned the blade holders. These do wear, and eventually cannot keep the blade at the right angle.

Cheers

Alec

Could also be a worn out windscreen. Years of constant wiping of the blade and general road conditions can pit the surface of a windscreen. Doesn't take much and can't be seen to the naked eye (or dressed one) .

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I'd go for the new full blade set too. The Bosch ones that come with the higher arched arm sound like they will work.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

IWS

Yes, the "blade holders" were replaced last year. Have today put new blades in and experimented more with bending the arm to put more pressure on the blades. This has made a signifcant improvement and my daughter now happier :-).
    Will also try a thorough clean and the RainX on the weekend.

Thanks all for the various bits of advice.

Ian.

Thread Information