aerodynamics on a road/club track car?
  • Help
    Administrator

Icon1 aerodynamics on a road/club track car?

Aerodynamics is something that has always intrigued me and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with aerodynamic alterations on a sedan based car.

Advertisement

The car in question is a Fuego, which would appear quite well designed from an 'upper body' wind resistance perspective, but rather lacking in air management and lift.

I was thinking of building a front splitter/undertray that would extend out a few inches from the lower bumper and go back to the front cross member. My main aims are to improve air flow through the engine bay and cut air flow under the car and also produce some downforce, more so at the rear, where the shape of the car seems quite condusive to creating lift.

I was also going to try and put slotted rubber flaps over the large holes for the steering arms and drive shafts and also seal the gaps between upper and lower chassis rails to prevent high pressure air from the front wheel wells getting under the car and into the engine bay.

I may try and smooth the under car flow a bit, especially around the rear suspension and bumper bar.

Not sure what to do with the rear end for downforce as the only spoiler I've even seen fitted to a Fuego was a cosmetic rubber one that look pretty average and do nothing.

What have people tried and what were the results? Are there substantial gains to be made? What did you use for construction.

For the under car covers I was thinking of just using corflute and maybe a foam core composite panel for the splitter (its about 10mm thick but weighs nothing and is strong and stiff - its used on yachts and i may be able to get some off cuts for nix)

My car gets noticeably light in the front end at high speed at Phillip Island & I thought a front splitter would add some downforce & get it more stable.

Something like this but not perhaps as elaborate-

http://www.michaelhiscoe.com/2011/09...cecar-splitter

If you read 'Wardy18' build thread on the 205drivers site, he made a rear diffuser for his hillclimb 205. Apparently there are certain angles required to make it effective.
    405 Mi16 2.2 litre race car for sale.
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/car...-car-sale.html
    https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails...d/518/id/22164

Lap times- Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205 Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Default What a drag !

Hi
    Laudable objectives. I guess you have Googled but there is a bit out there

This is a bit interesting and Julian tries hard.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2455
    More interesting stuff available there too.
    Jaahn

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Laudable objectives. I guess you have Googled but there is a bit out there
    Yeah, there is a lot of stuff about fitting xyz on different cars, but very little in the way of data or feedback relating to their effect.

I cannot offer any hard facts unfortunately but I have certainly thought about this topic in the past. If I was to pursue something I would be starting with looking into some sort of a front splitter for sure.

I have attached some photos below (hopefully) of a couple of Fuegos that I know raced seriously on the track so some inspiration may be drawn from their designs perhaps.

The yellow one is in England and has a 21turbo motor. I know that it has been totally stripped with all glass removed - even the hatch is perspex giving it a total weight of 800kg! It has a small rear spoiler by the looks....

The other was a TC2000 race car that can be seen in action at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckrQX8BrTD4

These TC 2000 cars were highly modified chassis and suspension wise as you can see in the photo so their resemblance to our cars and their correspondant handling cannot be attributed to aero alone. In the race footage you can see that the majority of the Aerodynamic focus even on these highly modded cars seemed to revolve around the front bumper/splitter design with little other modification to the Fuego body shape. Not even a rear spoiler interestingly enough!

aerodynamics on a road/club track car?-race-reno.jpgaerodynamics on a road/club track car?-fuego-race1.jpgaerodynamics on a road/club track car?-26618-renault-fuego-tc2000-f.jpg

In my very limited experience, and with no hard data, I found a noticable difference in high speed (130 KM/H plus) stability and turn in after fitting a front air dam. (the car was an XB Falcon)
    The effect was noticable at 130 ish, but was really evident at 200 plus, and the faster you went, the more the effect.
    I then added a rubber skirt to the air dam, which increased the effect.
    To my mind, anything that stops the air from going under the car, is going to help.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 12vFuego View Post
    I cannot offer any hard facts unfortunately but I have certainly thought about this topic in the past. If I was to pursue something I would be starting with looking into some sort of a front splitter for sure.

I have attached some photos below (hopefully) of a couple of Fuegos that I know raced seriously on the track so some inspiration may be drawn from their designs perhaps.

The yellow one is in England and has a 21turbo motor. I know that it has been totally stripped with all glass removed - even the hatch is perspex giving it a total weight of 800kg! It has a small rear spoiler by the looks....

The other was a TC2000 race car that can be seen in action at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckrQX8BrTD4

These TC 2000 cars were highly modified chassis and suspension wise as you can see in the photo so their resemblance to our cars and their correspondant handling cannot be attributed to aero alone. In the race footage you can see that the majority of the Aerodynamic focus even on these highly modded cars seemed to revolve around the front bumper/splitter design with little other modification to the Fuego body shape. Not even a rear spoiler interestingly enough!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	race reno.jpg 
Views:	2272 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	41503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuego race1.jpg 
Views:	2143 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	41501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26618-renault-fuego-tc2000-F.jpg 
Views:	3199 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	41502
    Yeah, seen a few pics of that red and yellow one.

The other Fuego's I've seen a bit of are the cars run by Juan Marie Traverso in the TC2000 series. The Fuego won that series 8 years on the trot I think.

I'd hazard to guess that there was a rule change at some stage in the mid-late 80's to allow external wings and more liberal aero changes as this picture shows the evolution through the years.

In the early pictures and videos I've seen none of the cars have wings. From about 89 onwards they all seem to have them.

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Yeah, seen a few pics of that red and yellow one.

The other Fuego's I've seen a bit of are the cars run by Juan Marie Traverso in the TC2000 series. The Fuego won that series 8 years on the trot I think.

I'd hazard to guess that there was a rule change at some stage in the mid-late 80's to allow external wings and more liberal aero changes as this picture shows the evolution through the years.

In the early pictures and videos I've seen none of the cars have wings. From about 89 onwards they all seem to have them.

WOW!!!! Thats one hell of a front spoiler!!!!!!!

Have not seen these pics before. I was going to say the common design for the front end seems to be to square up the front bumper forward and low to reduce any lift areas and create low underbody pressure........but that front splitter really takes the cake!

That Fuego in the background is barely even recognisable as one! Maybe we should try to track down some of their original moulds as a starting point

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 12vFuego View Post
    WOW!!!! Thats one hell of a front spoiler!!!!!!!

Have not seen these pics before. I was going to say the common design for the front end seems to be to square up the front bumper forward and low to reduce any lift areas and create low underbody pressure........but that front splitter really takes the cake!

That Fuego in the background is barely even recognisable as one! Maybe we should try to track down some of their original moulds as a starting point
    Not exactly speed hump friendly is it

In the late 60's, I had an aluminium aerofoil, made by Hermes in England, on my R10. It seemed to work reasonably well until I hit a rabbit at about 140 kph! I'm now thinking of making a one piece "splitter" out of 3mm alu. checkerplate, with the pattern underneath and faux carbon fibre foil on top.

Henry

Thread Information