EW10 306 - thoughts?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default EW10 306 - thoughts?

here for scrutiny. i am considering buying a cheap base spec 306 and fitting one of these engines.

i like the idea over an S16/GTi6 for a few reasons. lower KLM drive line, lighter, from what ive read superior design bottom end/more easily serviceable.

Advertisement

the prices seem quite reasonable for both the donor car and engines. i also can get help with wiring an aftermarket ecu, and mapping of the variable cam control. as far as fitting the engine, i am not uninitiated, have owned many project cars (none french yet though).

from the reading ive done so far, the (non vvt version) engine was available in the xsara, which is mechanically similar, was hoping someone could confirm the architecture of the engine bay is the same (from what i can tell all but the front mount cant be used)

failing that, can anyone advise if the bell housing pattern is changed from XU to EW series engines? and if im likely to run into any other dramas mating the EW to a 306 trans', starter/flywheel compatibility etc.

OR if im way off the mark, suggest a logical/efficient way of mounting the engine. also any comments on difficulties with connecting ancillaries, plumbing, exhaust.

my only other concern with buying a base model car is i have noted some mention there lower spec cars are different re rear torsion bars and maybe front uprights? are parts like these accessible and reasonably priced? some ball park figures would be great.

thanks for your time! looking forward to replies.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

What are your reasons for considering the EW series?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Tadpole

you can buy a 306 for less than $500, its a great base for a Project. EWJ4RS engines seem accessible and reasonably priced.

S16 and GTI6 are both great im sure of it, but its fun to try to make a better mouse trap.

the entire EW transaxle is lighter than the GTI6 set up. also, as far as im aware, 5s is the maximum number of gears allowable for competition in IPRA, which is a possible ultimate goal for such a build. from what i have read the engine seems to be an improvement in all areas of the XU and a little easier to service in the long run.

Civics last time i checked were stealing the show in that class, whilst i have no immediate or semi immediate plans to race such a car, its nice to have a vision for the future, helps justify the effort and expense.

Save yourself a lot of unnecessary effort & expense & just fit a Xsara VTS 5 speed box.
    405 Mi16 2.2 litre race car for sale.
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/car...-car-sale.html
    https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails...d/518/id/22164

Lap times- Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205 Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

If I had a choice between a GTi6 or EW series motor, I would choose the GTi6 motor.

Even if it was between the GTi6 and EW 180 - still GTi6.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

I have an EW10 in my tarted up 306 (ie a Xsara). Only came with that motor in auto.

Mine will be wearing eventually a 206Gti manual gearbox. Suspect it will be a reasonably quick car.

THe EW is a great motor. It an improvement on the XU10 series are there is potential to get more from them without much work.

There are a few mounts to find to make it all fit but not impossible. Im not aware of whats required to fit it into a 306 but I know they are not too hard to get into a 205. I think there is a 2.2 litre version too which would be worht a look?

Heres a good thread to read about them if you have not already.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...0%20the&page=1

Real question is why a 306? The base model 306 are pretty ordinary. The GTi6 chassis had something like 1 or 2 thousand more spot welds to the chassis and therefore would be a much better car to start with. Unless your going to cage it etc.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    the entire EW transaxle is lighter than the GTI6 set up. also, as far as im aware, 5s is the maximum number of gears allowable for competition in IPRA, which is a possible ultimate goal for such a build. from what i have read the engine seems to be an improvement in all areas of the XU and a little easier to service in the long run.
    Cars manufactured post '85 are classed as "modern" and are allowed 6 speed gearboxes.

Thread Information