New water pumps - temporary weeping
  • Help

Default New water pumps - temporary weeping

Anyone come across this?

Have dealt with a few new water pumps over the years, never had one weep 'til now.

Advertisement

Item in question is a Sasic item on an F4R Renault motor. Minor freak out at seeing the dribble of coolant - wiped it away and it has not returned.

Curious also as I ditched the 7 years/25,000km old OE pump for a dried old dribble of coolant - maybe it was ok after all and these types of pumps just dribble a bit as they settle in...?

Obviously I'll leave it there and monitor - no overwhelming desire to pull it out again now....

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Anyone come across this?

Have dealt with a few new water pumps over the years, never had one weep 'til now.

Item in question is a Sasic item on an F4R Renault motor. Minor freak out at seeing the dribble of coolant - wiped it away and it has not returned.

Curious also as I ditched the 7 years/25,000km old OE pump for a dried old dribble of coolant - maybe it was ok after all and these types of pumps just dribble a bit as they settle in...?

Obviously I'll leave it there and monitor - no overwhelming desire to pull it out again now....
    Depends on the type of seal and how long the pump has been on the shelf before being sold. Most times my replacement sasic pumps were perfect and never leaked a drop after installation, but if the dribble has stopped in the one you installed, it has probably wiped away a stain or crud that was stopping it sealing properly and you should have no further trouble, also depends how well the (probable) unskilled assembler set the seal surfaces in place.

Regards

Ken

If it was sitting on the shelf a long time, the seal can become slightly stuck on the shaft and a little piece can tear off. This may wear in later.

Scratch that - still leaking. Faulty pump.

Motherfookingtrucker... There goes another day of my life...

Thread Information