Steering Quickener
  • Help

Default Steering Quickener

I wish to reduce the number of lock-to-lock turns in my std R8 steering box and am considering a steering quickener.

I recon I can make it work , but am concerned about the legality and safety in a road car that I wish to also run on a track.

Advertisement

I have found this kit on ebay and not it would require the cutting of the existing steering column on fitting it between the steering rack / rubber connector and the column shaft.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-1-5-1...-/200594088249

Has anyone done this and is it legal for road use?

Angelo

It works a treat but I don't know about legal aspects. Install it in a small hidden box down at the floor board. Nobody checks down there!

Regards
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans it is certainly "doable" with the space I have, as it will change the lock-to-lock from 3.7 to 2.5 using the 1:1.5 quickener, matching the gordini 2.5 T-T.
    i had better speak to our resident Renault club scrutiniser (Dave C) as he will ultimately be the one who passes or fails for my club permit.
    do you have any pics of your set up?
    angelo

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    I wish to reduce the number of lock-to-lock turns in my std R8 steering box and am considering a steering quickener.

I recon I can make it work , but am concerned about the legality and safety in a road car that I wish to also run on a track.

I have found this kit on ebay and not it would require the cutting of the existing steering column on fitting it between the steering rack / rubber connector and the column shaft.

Angelo
    Our friend 4cvg has posted on the merits of devices like this, so you could do worse than pm him.

More recently, three of us have had the pinion kits available in France (Web Pieces Retro, Mecaparts for example) fitted to RHD racks with excellent results. There is a post somewhere with superb photos of the job. The pinion kits are designed for LHD racks and are NOT a simple bolt in job for the RHD racks, but Geckoeng has done us proud. I suggest you pm him and send him a rack for surgery.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi John
    i noted that BrettR had done his conversation in another post, and saw quite a bit was involved.
    But was not aware that Ray (Geckoeng) had done it. I will pm him and find out a little more.
    The quicken was seen as a cheaper alternative, but the preference is to have a box modified properly.
    thanks
    Angelo

Hi John
    i noted that BrettR had done his conversation in another post, and saw quite a bit was involved.
    But was not aware that Ray (Geckoeng) had done it. I will pm him and find out a little more.
    The quicken was seen as a cheaper alternative, but the preference is to have a box modified properly.
    thanks
    Angelo
    Pleasure Angelo. Mine was the prototype, for Ray that is. He's done two more for Renault 4CV Register folk and we'll be exchanging notes in Junee over Easter. You could slip up and test one! I'm very happy with the result.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Angelo
    Hello Angelo, the Ebay one is the Prolite by Coleman Racing. They are very well made & from a reputable company.

I bought 2 some years ago - one for my 4CV & one for my R8. Yes, they do involve cutting the column & inserting the device. This is a bit fiddly getting things aligned right as the quickener is a male externally toothed pinion mating with a female internally toothed tube. Thus, depending in how much reduction is involved (they make a 2:1 quickener as well) the input & output shaft are laterally misaligned to some extent. Defending on how it's mounted, that shift merely invokes an un-noticeably lower steering wheel position. Setting it up is no big deal but has to be carefully done. Mine was done by an engineer who is one of the half dozen such who certify vehicle modifications in Tasmania so it was competently carried out. As for legality, check with your own State authority. (When I was hunting around for a SQ, there was another brand that had just brought out one that was set up differently & didn't involve the slight misalignment.)

I wanted quicker steering & knew that the LHD 2.5 was not a straight fit into RHD (& no one back then suggested that a conversion could be carried out, far less claimed to have done one) so I was hunting for a 3.3 R8G RHD set-up without success when Frans suggested a SQ.

One incidental benefit is that, when fitting, one can use a coupler incorporating a Hooke joint & get a safer two piece shaft in place of the R8 spear.

One merit of the SQ is that it uses a standard rack & pinion; so, if one has to replace either (they are all getting on) then the task is relatively simpler.

Either way (2.5 pinion conversion or SQ) you'll relish the quick steering. In terms of driving enjoyment of fast cornering in slippery conditions (my daily drive almost) it's the single best thing I've done - it's much easier to be quickly on top of things.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Hi John
    thanks
    Angelo
    I think that such modification of a rack & pinion might also be something to check legality of. Registration authorities tend to be tetchy about steering modifications that are not a factory option. Of course, doing such a modification will be less apparent than a SQ.

cheers! Peter

Hi Peter,
    I really need to do some further homework as I am concerned about the legality.
    Also the Coleman SQ has offset shafts which complicates things and these need precise fitting thus the cost of an engineer to do and certify.
    Of course if I can get the std steering box modified to run 2.5 T-T at a reasonable cost, then I will probably go down that path.
    thanks again for the heads up.
    angelo

Hi John
    thanks
    Angelo
    Just to clarify in case of confusion. Ray didn't do Brett's.

4cvg's point about getting a joint in the steering column is a good point too.

Personally I'm very happy with the modified rack.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I think that such modification of a rack & pinion might also be something to check legality of. Registration authorities tend to be tetchy about steering modifications that are not a factory option. Of course, doing such a modification will be less apparent than a SQ.

cheers! Peter
    Fair point, but invisible inside the rack as you hinted at. I think the rack mod comes into the category of not worth bothering about in that regard.

So you have two viable options Angelo. Good outcome for the query I'd say!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Hi John,

Sorry I did understand that Ray had not done BrettR's steering rack (sometimes one gets lazy with their grammar when tapping away on an iPad)

Your offer is very appealling to "slip up" by I am afraid the tyranny of distance will play a factor.

I will investigate further, but are you able to me an indication of cost involved in the modification of the rack & pinion?

Angelo

Hi John,

Sorry I did understand that Ray had not done BrettR's steering rack (sometimes one gets lazy with their grammar when tapping away on an iPad)

Your offer is very appealling to "slip up" by I am afraid the tyranny of distance will play a factor.

I will investigate further, but are you able to me an indication of cost involved in the modification of the rack & pinion?

Angelo
    Hi Angelo,

In fairness to Ray (Geckoeng) you should PM him for a quote. I prefer to respect his privacy on that one.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

The gears inside must be made by and machined by God himself! A lot trust going into what looks like a tiny gear interface. I wonder if it might be for power steer where the column isn't absorbing much twist?

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    The gears inside must be made by and machined by God himself! A lot trust going into what looks like a tiny gear interface. I wonder if it might be for power steer where the column isn't absorbing much twist?
    I dunno about that. Think of the tiny size of the planetary gears inside an old bicycle Sturmey Archer hub gear system and the loadings with a teenage boy riding vigorously. Good steel is pretty strong.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Hi Stew,
    The gears are the standard ones used in the 1300 R8G, and they are rather robust. In all the years I have worked on R8/R10 R12 and R16 I have never seen a damaged tooth on a pinion or rack. I have seen them worn and overhauled them with a R&P kit, now days they just replace the R&P.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Hi Stew,
    The gears are the standard ones used in the 1300 R8G, and they are rather robust. In all the years I have worked on R8/R10 R12 and R16 I have never seen a damaged tooth on a pinion or rack. I have seen them worn and overhauled them with a R&P kit, now days they just replace the R&P.

Ray
    Hmm! I own two RHD 3.3 R8G pinions (no racks through! - grr!! - although the Djet has a LHD 3.3).
    One was an ex Bruce Collier rally one that I bought from David. It was certainly chipped on one side (as he warned me & it wasn't severe) but I was thinking that if I had it set up with the good bits mostly in play then it'd do.
    cheers! Peter

Thread Information