Not happy with 504 suspension.
  • Help

Default Not happy with 504 suspension.

I am not happy with the suspension of my 504 especially the rear end. I don't know what shockies are there under, but if i was to replace them , what type shall I look for?

Advertisement

Shockers are in the middle of the rear springs.

It's very easy to replace them. Lipp from EAI are OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not happy with 504 suspension.-504.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

LIP shocks were sold by Quinton Hazell who shut down last week.
    I hope that doen't include the Spanish operations of which LIP is part.
    Ken at Caravelle is a bit worried about supply of many items.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Shockers are in the middle of the rear springs.

It's very easy to replace them. Lipp from EAI are OK.

VIP Sponsor

Genuine Peugeot from 505 GTi, even now, 30 years on, if they aren't leaking they will be better than any other new general market shocker.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    I am not happy with the suspension of my 504 especially the rear end. I don't know what shockies are there under, but if i was to replace them , what type shall I look for?

I had a set of LIP shocks under the front of my 504 and took them out after 20000 km. They were far worse than the 20 year old pedders they were replacing. Granted this was 10 years ago but they would want to have improved alot

Scott

My Ti had Monroe (rear shocks) from new till about the end of the first 25 years. I had no complaints. Now Gabrials, not as good as Monroes!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

1000+ Posts

Don't forget the springs Bertie. If you go on ebay and enter a search for 504 springs you should find Kings Springs. There are also shockers in a few brands. I just ordered a set of rear springs for mine[$134 the pair] as I've found it too spongy and with a bit of a load in the boot it drags it's arse along the ground. According to the Kings rep the standard they make is 35% stronger than original 504 . I'm expecting this to be a reasonable statement. He also said front springs cost $300 a pair and take 3 weeks so I may have to pass on them, much as I am tempted.
    I also just got a set of Amortisseurs[shockers, derived from deadening I think] for the front struts. I think it is good to update all this stuff with nice modern stuff as I hope modern shockers are better while modern cars are not.

VIP Sponsor

I fitted some shockers to the front of a 504 a few years ago (not much help as I can't remember whether they were Allinqant/Sachs or LIP but they were terrible, the wheels would drop away after crossing speed bumps and crash as they didn't have the rebound spring fitted to the real Peugeot made shocks.
    I became pretty disheartened, and then saw an Mi16 that I liked, the 504 was a very nice straight 1973 model and fitted with a brand new GasResearch system with light weight stainless tank.
    Nobody wanted it so it was sold the exporters and was cut up. I haven't had any interest in 504s since.
    Big RR you would be amazed if you fitted some original 505 GTi rear shocks.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by sct504 View Post
    I had a set of LIP shocks under the front of my 504 and took them out after 20000 km. They were far worse than the 20 year old pedders they were replacing. Granted this was 10 years ago but they would want to have improved alot

Scott

Fellow Frogger!
    Laverton WA End of the Great Central Rd Westbound

I fitted a new set of boge rear to my 505, when I did the Canning, They Shit them self half way down, but they had done the Connie Sue, the Great central, and the Tanimi,But , even thought all dir That part , wasn,t a big ask The CSR was a different story!.I now have LIP, but haven't done any hard running!!!.Luthier, I contacted Kings, about springs for my 504 Wagon, about a month ago ( wagon has Dual springs on rear)But they said they couldn,t help. Can you please advise the part number, of the front springs at least.I just got rear shockys for my Wagon, from a UK supplier, genuine Peugeot.Price was not outrageous, even with post.

Fellow Frogger!

Andy,
    My 504 wagon in the front has 8.5 coils and are 1mm thicker (14mm) than the sedans. They are great springs and worth hanging onto.
    With the rears, I looked around but ended up having them stretched 50mm and I am very pleased with the results. The wagons ride a bit better with a load so I was keen to keep the original spring rate.

Fellow Frogger!
    Laverton WA End of the Great Central Rd Westbound

Default Genuine shockys from UK

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Genuine Peugeot from 505 GTi, even now, 30 years on, if they aren't leaking they will be better than any other new general market shocker.

Graham
    Hi Graham, I don,t know if you,ve ever been on this site peugeotparts.co.uk they are in Yorkshire and have parts for many old Peugeots.I bought rear genuine shocks, and front strut inserts for my 504 wagon off them a month ago, All part numbers are listed on line.Rear shocks for 504 sedan 520568, 504 Wagon 520575 don,t know GTi part #, but if you do, its worth a look.Prices are reasonable.

Thank you guys,that quite a lot for me to take in!

I replaced worn out factory shocks with monroe and the car sagged in the rear and was horrible. THEN i took the car to a suspension place and we fitted Koni Red adjustable shockers with OEM springs and the car was absolutely sublime in every respect. I then added a 5 speed BA-10 gearbox and personally that was the best handling / riding car i've ever owner bar none. i HIGHLY recommend Koni Red for a 504.. they are perfect.

Thread Information