Aftermarket ECU on 8v 205 Gti Series 1?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: Aftermarket ECU on 8v 205 Gti Series 1?

Default Aftermarket ECU on 8v 205 Gti Series 1?

Im into the 2nd year of owning my s1 205 gti so I am relatively new to the scene. I am wondering if anyone can list off some of the advantages/disadvantages of running an after market ECU on one of these engines.

Advertisement

My main appeal to the idea is having a tidier engine bay (sounds crazy I know) so I was also wondering what components would I be able to part with after losing the OEM ECU. The vehicle is far from being able to be brought back to original so I am fine with modifying anything.

From what I have read, Haltech 500 seems to be a pretty good ECU, but at $900 is it going to be worth it in the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kris

VIP Sponsor

Megasquirt 1 is $140 although you need to assemble the kit.
    It makes a great difference, I've done a few. Very simple leave the ignition as is and the ECU is fired off the coil primary.
    You can get rid of the airflow meter as the MS uses engine vacuum or throttle position as the load sensor.

You can buy the MS fully assembled for not that much more.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by KrisBrown View Post
    Im into the 2nd year of owning my s1 205 gti so I am relatively new to the scene. I am wondering if anyone can list off some of the advantages/disadvantages of running an after market ECU on one of these engines.

My main appeal to the idea is having a tidier engine bay (sounds crazy I know) so I was also wondering what components would I be able to part with after losing the OEM ECU. The vehicle is far from being able to be brought back to original so I am fine with modifying anything.

From what I have read, Haltech 500 seems to be a pretty good ECU, but at $900 is it going to be worth it in the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kris

I would speak to the guy who's going to tune it. If he doesn't like Haltech or Megasquirt then you'll have to consider otherwise.

The main points are:

1. Fit a motronic flywheel and sensor, regardless of what ECU you choose. Sorting out rotor phasing on the 205 dizzy isn't worth the aggro/money.

2. Fit an Si (or XU10J2) type coil pack and run wasted spark ignition.

3. The two main advantages of an aftermarket ECU is getting rid of the AFM and having mapped ignition so you can control the midrange advance curve. Keep the AFM body and temp sensor, but gut the internals to retain the OEM look. A decent ECU will let you program the oem air and coolant sensors.

4. Factor in your budget the cost of relays, fuse block and connectors. Easily another $150+.
    neilc likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

I would say if you want to spend the minimum fit MS 1 and drive it off the coil but to get maximum benefit trigger of a Motronic wheel and run MS2 or Haltech with mappable ignition.
    This is going to take a lot more effort and expense, both in fitting and tuning.
    MS1 has an 8 by 8 map, MS2 12 by 12 and MS3 16 by 16, obviously you will be buying a lot more of the tuner's time as you upgrade.
    Even the 8 by 8 map is a lot better than the Jetronic setup and probably the main benefit anyway is to restore the original Jetronic performance lost due to wear in the air flow meter.
    MS1 can be upgraded later on or you can pay a bit more and use MS2 in fuel only mode with the simple triggering to start with.
    Both my cars use fuel mapping only at present but I will be going to MS3 on the rally car when I fit the better engine, just need to plug in the CPU daughter board to upgrade.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I would speak to the guy who's going to tune it. If he doesn't like Haltech or Megasquirt then you'll have to consider otherwise.

The main points are:

1. Fit a motronic flywheel and sensor, regardless of what ECU you choose. Sorting out rotor phasing on the 205 dizzy isn't worth the aggro/money.

2. Fit an Si (or XU10J2) type coil pack and run wasted spark ignition.

3. The two main advantages of an aftermarket ECU is getting rid of the AFM and having mapped ignition so you can control the midrange advance curve. Keep the AFM body and temp sensor, but gut the internals to retain the OEM look. A decent ECU will let you program the oem air and coolant sensors.

4. Factor in your budget the cost of relays, fuse block and connectors. Easily another $150+.

Who is going to tune the car after fitting the after market ECU (ie Dyno) My dyno tune cost $900 5 years ago.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Megasquirt 1 is $140 although you need to assemble the kit.
    It makes a great difference, I've done a few. Very simple leave the ignition as is and the ECU is fired off the coil primary.
    You can get rid of the airflow meter as the MS uses engine vacuum or throttle position as the load sensor.

You can buy the MS fully assembled for not that much more.

Graham
    I have done a simmilar fit on a CTI. Not so complex and works really well.

Thread Information