The right stuff.....for S1 205GTi.
  • Help

Default The right stuff.....for S1 205GTi.

I've just aquired an early 205GTi and a 205Si and am trying to figure out the right spec for the GTi engine. The car is too far gone to be a showroom restore, but should be heaps of fun if sorted right.

This will be a road car not a track thrasher.

Since I have both the GTi engine and the Si unit, I have some options. Just put the Si head on the GTi engine to lift the compression ration or add the Si pistons toraise the CR even further.

Who has any experience with these options, and what cams have proven successful in any of these combinations? Slightly longer term, the engine could wind up with throttle bodies and a Haltech Sprint500 or similar.

Advertisement

In the short term, I'm about to pull the Si head and give it a going over as it will go in the GTi regardless.

Look forward to your advice.

Cheers.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Si head on GTi block with a few head mods and cam. Peter T can advise on the Cam etc. I had a motor similar to this and it worked very well.

The thing that holds it back as Im sure you know, is the AFM etc. Fit the haltech and you will be laughing. Having said that, its more money and the gain will not really be spectacular. Ive always driven 205s with crap idle etc and have never really cared as Ive fitted 16v motors or such. But if your into steady smooth motoring in an everyday car ( which, dont get me wrong I would like! ) would be nice! Its rare to get the standard 25 year old stuff to work!

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

As Cam said, early GTi (or Si) pistons with Si head and reground GTi cam is best for maximum compression. Fit a Motronic flywheel and aftermarket ECU for best results, although I've done it many times on Jetronic. I'm going to sell my Haltech 500, complete with GTi loom if you're interested. I'd also ditch the dizzy and fit the Si coil pack.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

si head onto the dfz motor. dfz and si pistons are practically the same, but the crank and rods differ. you wouldnt want much more compression than that in my opinion for a road car. it will be up around 10.5:1 if the head is close to std height.

i have a newmans ph3 cam that you may be interested in? its very similar to a peter t stage 2 cam according to peter. its new, i took it out of car as i ended up with a good std dkz cam and too be honest to get the best from it, a aftermarket ecu would be best.

it cost me just over $400 landed but since its sitting here doing nothing would sell for $250 inc postage

I'd buy the Newmans cam.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yep, I'd buy the cam too. If you haven't already done the deal with Peter, let me know and we can arrange transfer and postage.

Peter, will an Mi16 flywheel go on the GTi crank? If so I have the motronic flywheel sitting here. Might be interested in your Haltech sprint and harnes, but I would probably run LS1 coild like I do in my 405. Mind you, if the coil pack form the SI are solid, it would save $400 on new parts. Let me know price for ECU and stage 2 cam when you get a chance.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I'd buy the Newmans cam.
    peter did you want the cam or did you mean racing405 should buy the cam? either way if someone wants it its $250 posted.

I meant buy Lauree's cam. It's a bargain.

The ECU/harness won't come with any ignition. So either LS1 or Si coils would be needed. If using Si coil pack, you'll also need either another ignition module or an aftermarket twin channel ignition module.

All XU flywheels are interchangeable.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

well there you go, cam is available if your interested. if your looking at upgrading the gearbox i have a be3 vts box i would let go of also.

Thread Information