Con Trick... Or Innocent ' Mis-Diagnosis'???
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default Con Trick... Or Innocent ' Mis-Diagnosis'???

IiHow's this for a 'CON'.... Or maybe just innocent 'Mis-Diagnosis' ..... Guy rang us on Saturday to say he was at the car wash and could not get the gear shifter, on his Clio Auto, out of 'Park' position.... I 'interrogated' him to discover he had been Pressure Washing his car (Not good idea as risk of water in electrics) .... I told him to call roadside assist and get it taken to closest repairer.... Yesterday he phones and says ' repairers diagnosed as computer fault and quoted $1,400 to replace"... I told him that I Had never seen a computer fault preventing the lever from moving out of park.... I suggested he brought it to me so that I could check it out myself.... Here's what I found: Stop lights not working, shift lever lock not releasing to permit lever to move out of park position. So, I scratched my head and thought..Mmmmm, now to move lever from park position you must depress the brake pedal ( safety precaution) .... So if the electronic release on the shift lever does not receive a signal from the brake pedal, then it won't release.... So maybe it has a faulty brake light switch.... Or even e 'Blown fuse in the stop light circuit... So, I check the fuses and sure enough the stop light fuse is blown... I replace the fuse and hey presto... All is well!!!

Advertisement

UFO

Sounds like someone who didn't want to know about the job to start with then came up with a "quote" to either scare him away or make some bucks out of it (you know, French cars blah de blah, built upside down and backwards etc).

Good outcome for you no doubt. Surely he could have also READ THE INSTRUCTIONS to find out how to overide the parking lock. So many people never bother to read the flaming manual!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    I replace the fuse and hey presto... All is well!!!
    Geez, dont those things have a little panel that you can lift up to allow the gear lock to be bypassed??

Jo

Rod,

Pure laziness and disinterest I'd say. $1400 quote clears the drive and makes the problem go away.

Half of these modern dealer "technicians" couldn't fix an electrical problem unless the computer grabs their b@lls.

My son took his Honfda to a dealer for ABS issue. The dealer wanted to replace the ABS pump/computer. I quizzed the technician why ? "Because the computer tells me to do it"

Fitted correct, matched size tyres to front (after some googling) and fixed the problem.

Modern car repairers replace assemblies and assume the worst.

cheers

Rob

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Sounds like someone who didn't want to know about the job to start with then came up with a "quote" to either scare him away or make some bucks out of it (you know, French cars blah de blah, built upside down and backwards etc).

Good outcome for you no doubt. Surely he could have also READ THE INSTRUCTIONS to find out how to overide the parking lock. So many people never bother to read the flaming manual!
    Hi Craig, to give credit to the owner, he did read the handbook and worked out how to lift gaiter and depress over-ride button, that's how he was able to drive it over to me.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Geez, dont those things have a little panel that you can lift up to allow the gear lock to be bypassed??

Jo
    yes they do Jo and that's what the Guy did to enable him to drive car to me.

1000+ Posts

Sounds like a scratch the head guess from a local mechanic not familiar with the Clio - I would hope it wasn't a deliberate attempt at ripping off a technologically challenged stranger, as that is the thing that destroys trust in the industry. It's bad enough that modern cars have complex diagnostics that require at least a basic level of understanding and interpretation, without having to worry about that too.

Having said that, electronic gremlins sometimes provide puzzling effects, when the left turn rear globe burns out on the laguna, and you activate the left turn signal, it kicks the Cruise control out - once you know, its an easy clue that your left turn globe is in need of replacement.

Nice that your customer benefits from your honesty and service - I bet he never goes back to the other guy though and those sorts of stories tend to travel word of mouth so it doesn't pay either way in the long run.

I'd like to have a quid for all the Fuego owners who panick to the worst scenario when a gremlin in the aging wiring/electronic ignition strikes, or the engine runs rough from a split rubber spagetti hose fallling off its connection... and dogey fuse connections....

Cheers Rod. Well done.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    yes they do Jo and that's what the Guy did to enable him to drive car to me.
    Well with that type of knowledge, the owner is over qualified to become a road service guy.

Jo

PS. note to anyone with a late model auto renault...Do not pressure wash the motor with gusto.
    IT took my goon a month to recover from the one time I pressure washed it.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Well with that type of knowledge, the owner is over qualified to become a road service guy.

Jo

PS. note to anyone with a late model auto renault...Do not pressure wash the motor with gusto.
    IT took my goon a month to recover from the one time I pressure washed it.
    Thats why mine is dirty under the bonnet
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

UFO

One plastic cover panel in the engine bay of my C5 has a symbol of person with a pressure washer and a cross through it!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Former Frogger

Also be wise to people fitting a single filament globe where a dual filament globe is needed, which can cause a few strange problems with BSI-equipped cars.

Banned

is BSI the thing also known as Mad Car Disease?

COL

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Also be wise to people fitting a single filament globe where a dual filament globe is needed, which can cause a few strange problems with BSI-equipped cars.
    I reckon it would cause a problem in any car. (They are doing a good job to make the globe fit in the holder)
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information