Megajolt ignition?
  • Help

Default Megajolt ignition?

I am starting to get sick of the dizzy and was considering (under the influence of haze inducing liberal consumption of brain lubricant) installing a Megajolt in my 205GTI. Anyone know if I could use an Si crank sensor to trigger this thing? And perhaps the coil as well. I have all the Si parts and would like to keep cost down.

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

It would be a shame to ruin such a good original car, but here goes. Yes, you could use a Motronic flywheel and sensor to trigger a Megajolt (or similar) and then have two ignition outputs to fire the Si wasted spark ignition system. However, how would you then fire the Jetronic fuel system which relies on a square wave input from the standard single coil? Somebody might know. If you're going to that much trouble you may as well fit a complete after market fuel & ignition ecu.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

What does the jetronic need the ignition input for?

I am trying to get rid of the dizzy which is probably the most unreliable bit around the engine. Cost is one main factor. Besides, I think you should know better. You've seen a lot of people start on this path with a good, working car and end up selling piles of bits. I intend to do this as an on going project whilst the car is on the road and performing daily driver duties. That means everything will be built on the bench and only when finished plugged in, tested and bolted on only when everything is hunky dory. Ultimately I don't really care about anything else as long as I can replace the dizzy with something reliable, low maintenance and cheap (if possible). No oil leaks a bonus.

PS. I think you can keep away from cheap pot-shots too. You're only fuelling brainless kids who don't know any better.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 26th February 2013 at 05:58 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The jetronic ecu gets a pulse every times the coil fires so it knows when to fire the fuel.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Well, that means I will have to find a way to do it with the megajolt, or find another aftermarket ignition thingiemabob that does that.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Well, that means I will have to find a way to do it with the megajolt, or find another aftermarket ignition thingiemabob that does that.
    Thank you.
    Doesn't megajolt use an EDIS module to trigger the coil? These are rare as rocking horse sh!t in Oz.

Why not look for a mechanically interchangeable dizzy with Hall or inductive trigger and use that. Even if need to have the advance curve altered.

JB camiras with bosch inductive trigger are very popular as donor to be modified.

Less complication is best IMO.

Hmm. I think the main problem with my dizzy right now is that the shaft is worn hence an unsteady advance. An old dizzy off another car (or even a new one) might have the same problem plus the added complication of changing the curve which I can not do myself (or not as easy as soldering a bunch of stuff on a PCB).

Another problem is the way this dizzy is oil sealed is prone to problems and mine (as everybody else's) leaks at will creating a mess on a bunch of other crap peugeot thought might benefit from it such as the temp sender housing, assorted cables and hoses, the SAD, gearbox control rods and so on, so I would only be too happy to get rid of this pesky source of oil infestation.

I understand Megajolt sell you the EDIS (Ford I think I have seen on their site) too. What's wrong with using that?

....... What's wrong with using that?
    Absolutely nothing! Your call entirely. I was just mistaken that matter was open for discussion and you wanted opinions.

Well, here's the priorities.

Reliable
    easy to find
    cheap

If anyone sold an off the shelf kit to plug in, I would buy that. Like I said above, I don't have the time to fiddle for more than say one week end at a time. Megajolt seem to sell this stuff, and I realised I don't even have to use their trigger wheel (which would have been somewhat of a problem to stick on my crank pulley) because I have a flywheel with the right setup and the TDC sender I need.

VIP Sponsor

You could buy the EDIS from a wrecker (in the US) but this is only one way of using megajolt, best to use a Motronic Flywheel from a S3 or an Si.
    Why not use the complete Megasquirt, get twice the benefit and don't have to organise triggering the Jetronic ECU.
    Graham

Hmm. I think the main problem with my dizzy right now is that the shaft is worn hence an unsteady advance. An old dizzy off another car (or even a new one) might have the same problem plus the added complication of changing the curve which I can not do myself (or not as easy as soldering a bunch of stuff on a PCB).

Another problem is the way this dizzy is oil sealed is prone to problems and mine (as everybody else's) leaks at will creating a mess on a bunch of other crap peugeot thought might benefit from it such as the temp sender housing, assorted cables and hoses, the SAD, gearbox control rods and so on, so I would only be too happy to get rid of this pesky source of oil infestation.

I understand Megajolt sell you the EDIS (Ford I think I have seen on their site) too. What's wrong with using that?

More money, more time to set up, more fiddling around, time on dyno and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Doesn't megajolt use an EDIS module to trigger the coil? These are rare as rocking horse sh!t in Oz.

Why not look for a mechanically interchangeable dizzy with Hall or inductive trigger and use that. Even if need to have the advance curve altered.

JB camiras with bosch inductive trigger are very popular as donor to be modified.

Less complication is best IMO.
    I fitted a "Hot Spark" Hall Effect module to the Ducellier distributor on my Renault R8 last year, with perfect results. The weakness is that although you get rid of points and capacitor, a huge improvement IMHO, you still are stuck with the centrifugal advance and the vacuum advance systems, which will be worn albeit working to some level of effectiveness in most cases. I'm chasing a 123 system for the Citroen CX right now.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information