205 GTi, can engine mounts be shimmed or height adjusted ?
  • Help

Default 205 GTi, can engine mounts be shimmed or height adjusted ?

Hi all
    my exhaust pipe is very close to and at times hitting the K frame , is it possible to adjust the engine mounts to get a bit more distance.
    Thanks Doug

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTi, can engine mounts be shimmed or height adjusted ?-img_0993.jpg  

Maybe you already checked but just in case, are you sure the manifold to downpipe connection is true and straight? It has been heard to be annoying to get right. Bolts done up correctly, springs and all in place?

And just for background, engine/g'box mounts in good order? Done up properly?

I will check mine tonight if you need and let you know how much clearance I've got, but it wouldn't be far from yours. Mine doesn't seem to be moving that much though.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Hello schlitzaugen
    I noticed between the rubber stoppers on my side engine mount there was a 5mm space at the rear, which may let the engine rock back a little. So I cut a piece of old radiator hose and wedged into the space. So far no more exhaust vibration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTi, can engine mounts be shimmed or height adjusted ?-img_1014.jpg  

No worries. It might be that the engine mount is starting to get tired (mine is new, I replaced it).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yea that mount looks way past it. Im about to replace mine too as they are also worn out. I have more clearance than your exhaust though. So also check your exhaust location as Shultz said.

You may also want to look at the mount underneath where you have just placed the rad hose, I guess it called the top mount... The mount can look ok but until you take off the top mount connecting arm you cant see whats really going on. They can totally break off but you cant tell unless you investigate! They are easy to replace. Gearbox mounts can also perish and become slack, another you have to investigate to see. Removing battery etc will give you a better idea, the also can wear badly underneath. Little more time consuming to get out.

Ive just replaced all these mounts on another car, the originals were all very tired.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information