205 trailing arm creak
  • Help

Default 205 trailing arm creak

Hey froggers.

How do I know the rear beam bearings are on there way on my GTi?

The trailing arms just beginning to creak every so often. Mostly when i take the hand brake off or take off from a stand still, where the weight shifts back.

Car was off the road for some time, but not in the weather.

Is it worth getting grease nipples put in? (Possible?). Prevention is better than cure after all. Maybe too late.

Advertisement

I don't mind spending the coin on a rebuild, inevitable really in the long run. Can do most the work, everything except press bearings in and out. Cars just done 189k Km's.

Stories, advice, spare parts, knowledge welcomed!

Cheers guys

Julian

Default 205 trailing arm creak

Bump 😳

VIP Sponsor

Get someone to rock car, from side to side, whilst you kneel on ground, just forward of each rear wheel, resting your finger lightly on torsion bar arm end, where bearing runs ( don't trap finger)'mmif you can feel a vibration, as car is rocked side to side, that will indicate dry or worn bearing....if its just dry, then before major intervention try working some silicone lubricant spray into offending area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    Get someone to rock car, from side to side, whilst you kneel on ground, just forward of each rear wheel, resting your finger lightly on torsion bar arm end, where bearing runs ( don't trap finger)'mmif you can feel a vibration, as car is rocked side to side, that will indicate dry or worn bearing....if its just dry, then before major intervention try working some silicone lubricant spray into offending area.
    Thanks Rod.

I should be able to get come life out of it yet. Little creaky but ill get some form of lubrication into where the trailing arm meets the beam. Theres no real stiffness at the pivot point of the trailing arm just yet. Just a creak. But I did as you said and ill see if the lubricant can work in there after a few trys.

Thanks

Julian

Best way to tell ( other than taking it apart ) is to jack up one side of the rear securely, grab the wheel like your going to throttle it! Then move it up down, left right and everything in between. You need to use a little force to get the thing to move, almost like taking the weight of it and lifting it. You will feel a little knock, ranging from 1mm of movement to 10mm above! If there is any knocking what soever you need a rebuild. Its just gets worse quickly if you leave it and there is no greasing you can do to fix it unfortunately!

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information