BA7/4 gearbox bearings for my 504
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default BA7/4 gearbox bearings for my 504

It was easy enough pulling this gearbox apart but now I have to get the old bearings off and fit the new ones.

I have come to the conclusion that pullers won't work unless they are special tools, for the mains, though pullers may get the smaller layshaft bearings off. But the big ones have too much shaft ahead of them and the one on the main cluster has no room for puller jaws to engage around.

Thus I am inclined to the view that the angle grinder is the right tool to remove them.

Then I am thinking that a few hours in the freezer for the shafts and a short time in the oven at 150C for the bearings would be the best way to assemble them.

Advertisement

Your thoughts sought here please gurus.

luthier,
    You are right about special pullers. The puller I recall has two or three long legs. The ends of the legs have slightly rectangular ends that are inserted between the bearing balls, they are then rotated to lock into the ball race. The legs at the other end are attached to a plate with the jacking bolt. Acting on the bolt should then withdraw the bearing.

The other type has a tapered cone with 2 or 3 longtitudinal slots. A sturdy ring then slides up the cone closing up the slots and clamping over the bearing.
    A pusher [jacking] bolt on the cone base is then wound inwards onto the cluster shaft. Voila!

Clear as mud eh? A tool catalogue may illustrate the above. Thinking SnapOn or Sykes Pickavant.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    luthier,
    You are right about special pullers. The puller I recall has two or three long legs. The ends of the legs have slightly rectangular ends that are inserted between the bearing balls, they are then rotated to lock into the ball race. The legs at the other end are attached to a plate with the jacking bolt. Acting on the bolt should then withdraw the bearing.

The other type has a tapered cone with 2 or 3 longtitudinal slots. A sturdy ring then slides up the cone closing up the slots and clamping over the bearing.
    A pusher [jacking] bolt on the cone base is then wound inwards onto the cluster shaft. Voila!

Clear as mud eh? A tool catalogue may illustrate the above. Thinking SnapOn or Sykes Pickavant.
    Yes just as I thought. The angle grinder sounds eminently preferable to all that $hit. I know, careful not to damage shaft, yes cut carefully then king hit with coal chisel. Thankyou Wildebeest.

luthier,
    Sorry if my, hour long to type, suggestions amounted to a pile of merde for you.
    The best plan when attempting this work is to read up on it first.

"king hit with a coal chisel" Would that be an Old King Coal chisel ?

Thread Information